Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my Brickwall of the last 3 years

Thomas Wicks/Weeks married Sarah ? somewhere ? ca. 1800 +/- 5 yrs
    Sarah said she came from Hurley in Berkshire. Thomas died in 1820 at Burchetts Green, Berkshire.
    They had 4 children
    Sarah re-married in 1822 to a James Wernham

If anyone comes across a stray marriage in their own research, between THOMAS WICKS/WEEKS and a SARAH born Berkshire. I would be most grateful for the information.

Goodygumdrops

Hurley is very close to Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire but it would definitely be worth trying the Berkshire Marriage Index

Sorry, just looked on the BMI on Familyhistoryonline and there's nothing.
    Last edited by Asa; 07-09-08, 17:37.
    Asa

Comment

Wicks

Hi Asa
      Have searched all the parish records of surrounding counties, which are available to me, which are quite a few. I have contact with a Wicks ancestor in England who has been also endlessly searching. My only hope (without coming to England and touring the country ) is that MAYBE someone might spot an entry whilst doing their own research.

goodyg.

Comment

Hi, Goodyg and welcome to the forum

I too, am researching Wicks's - sadly I can't help with your query, but will keep an avid eye on this thread
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Aah I see - I take it the banns for Hurley have been searched too? Trouble is, society was a lot more mobile than we're led to believe. I have a lot of girls from the area who married in London, usually in service. Also of course, they might not have married at all. I do Berkshire PRs from time to time so will keep an eye out for anything.
          Asa

Comment

Is this your Sarah Wernham on the 1841 census ?

- Ancestry.co.uk

born abt 1781 ... on the same page there are Eliza, James and Sophia Wicks

Looks like there's a William Wicks aged 25 with her but he is not in the household on the transcription
            Last edited by Rachel Scand; 07-09-08, 17:59.
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Was the second marriage by banns or licence? Who were the witnesses?

Comment

These are on Boyds marriage index.

1796 /WEEKS THOS / HARDING SARAH / THORNBURY / GLOUCESTERSHIRE

1796 / WICKS THOS / GRAY SARAH /MARYLEBONE ST MARY LE BONE /MIDDLESEX

1794 / WICKS THOS / SHIPP SARAH /YATE / GLOUCESTERSHIRE = SHIPP SARAH & THOS WICKS (B)

1803 / WICKS THOS / HEWETT SARAH / PAINSWICK / GLOUCESTERSHIRE

1801 / WIX THO / SHOWELL SARA / MARYLEBONE ST MARY LE BONE / MIDDLESEX

Comment

Wicks

Thanks ASA
                  much appreciated. My co-searcher in England has searched most of the surrounding parishes to Hurley, but we reckon he must have married elsewhere.

MARY
                  Yes these are my folks. William was also the son of Sarah and he was my gr gr grandfather. I am waiting to hear from James Wicks ancestor to find out who the witnesses were.

SUFFOLK SUE
                  Some of those marriages I have researched, and the trouble with the others is that none of the brides maiden names match up with any of the Sarah's born in Hurley or the surrounding parishes ca. +/- 1782

goodyg.

Comment

Goodyg, you probably know this but someone who gives the place of birth as Hurley at that time could easily have been born in one of the hamlets on the borders of other parishes and is just as likely to have been baptised at Wargrave or Remenham.
                    Last edited by Asa; 08-09-08, 07:51.
                    Asa

Comment

Wicks

Firstly RACHEL
                      sorry, its just come to my notice I missed your name off the list yesterday when I replied. So thanks for replying.

Hi ASA
                      I have checked all the births, which are available on IGI, of Sarahs and I know it is possible she was bapt. in another parish and am trying to go through the parishes one by one, but as not all names are listed on the IGI it could be easily missed. I have also wondered if she was born in Harley, or Hurley in Warwicks.
                      The London marriages I have had checked say only, both of this parish, so its possible that she could have married there. If she came from Hurley,or a surrounding parish which is a rural area , but was working London or another county, and, presuming her husband (who was not born in Hurley or any surrounding parish ) came from or worked in the place where they married, (he was a labourer ) why would they return to Hurley to live, but if they both came from another county or parish wouldn't they need permission to settle ? and we can find no records of this.
                      I have two names I must try to follow up in Hurley I have'nt yet managed to find out who or when they married.
                      One was a Sarah Halifax (transcribed as Stalifas ? )b. 1777 toThomas and Mary nee. Cox
                      Sarahs brother Richard married in Margate where he worked as a Porter so Sarah could also have worked in Kent, but again cannot tie a Halifax/Wicks together.

Then we have another mistranscription
                      Sarah Brekin ? 1777 to William and Mary and I need to get confirmation from the baptisms on microfiche what this name really is. as on the 1841 census Sarah Wernham and son William have a lodger aged 20 called Blake - could he be a nephew of Sarahs ? is the mistrancription Brekin really Blake.
                      I can't tell you how I have turned things upside down and inside out looking for clues. Even tried using the married names of Sarahs from Hurley to see if she was widowed and therefore using her married name, nope.

googygumdrops

p.s. hope you can follow all that.

Comment

Originally posted by goodygumdrops View Post
                        I have checked all the births, which are available on IGI, of Sarahs and I know it is possible she was bapt. in another parish and am trying to go through the parishes one by one, but as not all names are listed on the IGI it could be easily missed. I have also wondered if she was born in Harley, or Hurley in Warwicks.
                        If that is the correct family on the 1841 census, then it's highly unlikely that any of them were born in the county of Warwickshire.

Cookham (1841) census is in Berkshire and not far from Hurley, which is not far from Henley on Thames (Oxfordshire) and Marlow (Buckinghamshire).
                        So you have 3 counties to consider

Warwickshire is a different part of the country entirely

(hope I've followed your post correctly)

hurley, cookham, henley - Google Maps

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 08-09-08, 14:25.
                        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

All the children of Thomas and Sarah were born in Hurley, it's Thomas and Sarahs marriage and births I am desperately seeking. Sarah says she was born in Hurley, and I realise that she could have been bapt. in another parish. All the surrounding parish records have been searched for their marriage and we've come up with nothing. I can't tie up any Sarah born in Hurley with a Thomas Wicks, have tried using John Thomas or William Thomas, have had searches done of neighbouring parishes in Oxon, Bucks and Surrey but so far no luck.

goodyg.

Comment

Working...
                          X