info on a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on a farm

in the 1851 census william dewis is living in bedworth road at dewis's farmhouse,bulkington,warwickshire he is 78 a farmer of 62 acres and employing 1 man.does this mean he owns the farm?

No, he may be a tenant farmer. Have a look to see if he left a Will, most farmers did (including tenant farmers)

OC

Comment

The Warwickshire Records Office has put the Tithe Apportionments, 1838 to 1853 online, and the parish of Bulkington is included.

You can do a free text search or search by owner, occupier or parish.
      I can't see him, but the name Dewis is often mistranscribed as Jewis and similar. There is a William Jewis in the index, but he's farming land at Exhall.

There's also a victuallers' index on the same site - loads of Dewis's in there, including a William, but they all seem to be in Bedworth.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-09-08, 12:03.

Comment

How would i find out if he left a will?

Comment

I can't see a will for him on the National Archives site, but it only goes up to 1858. Do you know when he died?

Comment

Just an aside - a 62 acre farm would require more than one man employed.

Is this a large family? If so, where are they all in the next census, still at the farm, or moved on?

OC

Comment

He had 9 childeren, in the next census he's lodging with his son who is a tailor, they were not at the farm but in the same village. He died in June 1861.

Comment

Nothing listed among the Warwickshire wills here, but I don't think the list is complete yet:

Genealogy, Family History, Trepess, Research, Warwickshire, Hungary, Hungary Real Estate, Hungary Property, Industrial

Comment

You could have a look at the Index to death duty registers on findmypast.com (pay per view), but it's a bit of a pain to search. I've looked at wills and admins in 1861, and I can't see him.

Your best bet is to contact the nearest Records Office (Warwick or Coventry) to see if they have a will for him.

Comment

Might not be your chap but Birmingham City Archives have a document;

Indenture between William Dewis and others, and Catherine Greenway, concerning an estate at Bedworth. (With lease for a year -24 March, 1808, and three papers dated 1808). - ref. MS 3071/Acc 1915-007/256787 - date: 25 March 1808
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Also, see if you can fuind him in local directories. The earliest ones tend not to list tenant farmers, or distinguish them, say by an asterisk, from farm owners.
                      Phoenix - with charred feathers
                      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Oh, I see from the census that he was blind, poor man, so presumably someone else was running the farm for him.

Comment

It does sound as if he was a tenant farmer, in which case there will be a tenancy agreement lodged somewhere, hopefully.

A sideways way of finding these tenancy agreements is to work out who owned the land, from the Tithe Apportionment maps, then see if that landowner has lodged any papers with the CRO. With luck, the landowner will be from an important family and the family will have thought their papers worthy of preservation!

Can you find the farm in the following census, to see who is there?

OC

Comment

There's a list of Warwickshire freeholders (1820) online:

Genealogy, Family History, Trepess, Reseach, Freeholders,1820, Warwickshire

There are 3 Dewis's - the only one from Bulkington is a Joseph. There is a William, but he's from Birmingham.

Comment

where can i find copies of Tithe Apportionment maps will my local libary (nuneaton) have them

Comment

Not sure - Warwick RO will have them, but I don't know about the library. Give them a ring and ask.

Comment

You could try searching http://www.coventrycollections.org .

I can't see a William Dewis, but there are several hits for the surname Dewis.

That site includes the Foleshill enclosure award; the land is probably included in that, but it may not have been known as Dewis's farm at the time.

Comment

Did your William Dewis have a son called Thomas, born c. 1809? He married my (probable) relative Sarah Slingsby in 1830.

In 1861 he's a tailor, living with Sarah and children in Sandpit Lane, Bulkington (mistranscribed as Davis).
                                    In 1871 he's a rates collector, other details as before (mistranscribed as Dowis).

I've transcribed their headstones in Bulkington cemetery if you're interested.
                                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-09-08, 15:58.

Comment

Working...
                                    X