What would you do with this bloke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do with this bloke?

I have four brothers, surnamed Adams, born in Islington 1890-1900. The elder one stayed in London, the second and youngest emigrated to Australia.

I am left with William, born, according to his school records 18 Nov 1897. He left school in 1911 and was probably a witness at his youngest brother's wedding in 1920, in which case he survived the war. I haven't found a death post 1969 for someone with the name and birthdate in England.

Can anyone suggest anything else to do with such a common name?
    Asa

Have you tried any Australian censuses to see if he emigrated to live with one of his brothers?
    Gwynne

Comment

Gwynne, I didn't know any were available :s It doesn't look as if he did though because a nephew died in 1928 and a very kind member on here copied all the newspaper reports and obituaries for me - all the family members out there are mentioned and he isn't.

I'm just going through the many William Adamses again on the British Army records in case I've missed him.

I should say I don't yet know when his mother Emma died yet. His father died in 1902 and she bizarrely turns up living in Fulham in 1915, her youngest son's army records but the rest of the family seem still stuck in Islington at that time.
      Asa

Comment

If you find her death and burial maybe he was buried with or near his Mum. A few of my waifs and strays turned up that way.
        Gwynne

Comment

Thanks Gwynne:-) I have just found a marriage of a William Adams at the right sort of time in Islington to a girl who grew up in Holloway, so I'll look into that too. Shouldn't you be busy packing?
          Asa

Comment

Originally posted by Guinevere View Post
            Have you tried any Australian censuses to see if he emigrated to live with one of his brothers?
            Gwynne, there aren't any Australian censuses...not for that period, at least. The government , in its wisdom, destroyed them :(

What you may be able to use are the electoral rolls, State and Federal.

Beverley

Comment

Aw, MacBev, how awful of them.

I could have sworn a contact sent me census info on a convict, it must have been something else.

I am packing, just having a little rest from time to time. ;)
              Gwynne

Comment

Originally posted by Guinevere View Post
                Aw, MacBev, how awful of them.

I could have sworn a contact sent me census info on a convict, it must have been something else.

I am packing, just having a little rest from time to time. ;)
                Don't forget the butter

Yes ....there are a few censuses in the early days...but no modern ones, after Federation, unfortunately :(

Asa is looking for family in the early 1900s

Beverley

Comment

And there was me preparing a long list of requests for you, MacBev lol
                  Asa

Comment

Bad luck, Asa. I'm going far, far away :D

I don't have access to the electoral rolls either....Ancestry (Australian version ) has them and I think either Mary in Italy or Libby (Harry's Mum) have that sub, so may be able to do a look up for you. I have to do it the hard way.....on fiche at the State Library.

I presume you know about the Postal directories for WA? You can search for your names in WA up to 1949.

The Western Australian Post Office Directories

Beverley

Comment

Thank you, I was only joking ;-) I have got mine on all the electoral rolls up to 49 now:-)
                      Asa

Comment

Working...
                      X