marian gadd, missing on the 1861/1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marian gadd, missing on the 1861/1901

this is a huge problem of mine. i cant find this ancestor on the 1861 census, and i know she is mistranscribed.

marian vye gadd- b.1840,chichester

in 1841 and 1851- she is with her parents, thomas and mary ann, in chichester, sussex
    1861- she is missing, but her father is remarried to an emma and has a daughter cecilia, they are in london. emma happens to be marian's aunt, too.

1865, marian marries john morton in marylebone, and appears in 1871, 81, and 91 with him around the wandsworth area of london.

in 1900, most of marian and john's children move to yorkshire, for reasons unclear. they're not on the 1901 census either.

and if anyone is wondering, these gadds are related to patbee's.

marian had two full blood sisiters, catherine ellen, and emma christiana. emma c, is living with thomas in the census.and catherine is a servant in 1861. all of the sisiters were mariied around 1867. i have all that info. i just want to find marian, and it's really annoying.

can anyone help?

Problem is, if she was in service somewhere, she is quite likely to be recorded as Mary Ann, (I should think)
    Jess

Comment

I don't know about your Marian, but I do have a lot of Gadds of Sussex in my Tree. I wonder whether Marian's dad Thomas could have been Christened 14 Jan 1792?
      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

gj, that thomas is marian's grandfather.

Comment

Yes, she may have been mistranscribed, but also she may have been on one of the thousands of households missing from the 1861 census (esp if she was a servant in London)

See our Wiki here:

Missing Census Pages - Family Tree Forum

Comment

Hi KJ

So you and I have a link by marriage because that Thomas's sister Martha married my 1C6R John Neal
            Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

i dont know what she did for a living. maybe the marriage cert will tell?
              is marylebone missing from 1861? she was married there in 1865

Comment

Working...
              X