Odd question... marriage registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd question... marriage registers

Do you know how many entries each register held?

The reason I ask is that I am transcribing some parish registers and have just got to the end of one of the books, but it seems to finish with entry number 289.

As there are two marriages per page, I would have thought it would be an even number?

It isn't that any have been missed out because they are all numbered and I have checked and I have the full numbers from 1-289 (including a couple of entries that were crossed out or left blank).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

289 doesn't divide by three, either.

Normally you'd expect a fixed number of entries per page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 8, I think. Certainly that must be so for pre-printed registers.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I know there were two different size registers issued to churches in 1837.....erm hang on............

Comment

Hmmmm....Quote from The Marriage Records of England and Wales by Michael W Foster:

"The Registrar general was to provide Marriage Register Books in duplicate to all the registered and certified places of marriage, the cost being paid by the churchwardens or other responsible persons. Books were of two sizes, some of two hundred spaces while most were of five hundred spaces."

Comment

Thanks Merry, very odd...

It must have been a 500 one because it goes over the 200 one. Maybe they changed to another book for the new century? Will have to have another look next time I go.

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

If you are transcribing, you presumably have the original in front of you?

If it has been deposited in a record office, this may have been before the register was filled. There were a lot of country churches that may have done this because they had only ever had one register since 1837 and couldn't fulfill the conditions for keeping the registers safe.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

What was the date of the final marriage?

Some norty Vicars took the registers with them when they moved parishes...

OC

Comment

I have viewed a marriage register of a small village,in a Record Office.
                It was the original book started in 1837 and still only half full when handed in, in 2004.

Maybe the register for your records was not full?

Gwyn

Comment

Working...
                X