Anyone up for a picture challenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a picture challenge?

Not sure whether this belongs on here, but still... (it can always be moved!)

I've just spotted this intriguing/fun page on the N Devon RO site (whilst looking for a different page, of course ):

Unidentified illustrations in the Westcountry Studies Library

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

lol Some of those are going to be tricky!!

OH made contact with a distant family member in Canada. She sent us a photo, circa 1920, and asked us if we could identify where it was taken. It was a photo of a young couple and the surroundings were a sandy beach with a few grassy tussocks. Nothing else at all! OH replied that it was probably somewhere on the coast of a country! lololol The lady was dissapointed we couldn't determine what beach it was, as, "I'm sure it's in England" :D

Comment

Mind you - if you live in a small country like England (as I do) it's not unreasonable for people to expect you to know anyone they may have met from there...

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I know what you mean Christine! While living in a small village in NSW and telling a 'native' that I come from Glasgow, she imediately regaled me with several names from way-back -when. Not that she expected me to know them all personally of course, but I was bound to know the families???
        Wee Ann

Comment

Well, Christine, I recognised the one of Exeter Central Station where the troops are coming up the slope!

I travelled to Exeter by train every school day for 10 years (1959-1969) and this is where you used to walk up, not having to go through the station building itself. Behind the wall and the railings is Rougemont Castle and gardens.
          Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 07-09-08, 13:27.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Intriguing site and recognise the Barbican and one or two others once they have been identified, but cannot identify others except that I thought that
            P&D 58646 might be Castle Drogo near Drewsteignton but not really sure enough to make a suggestion as river looks too wide.

Living near London I am expected to know all 8 million of us!!

Janet

Comment

Working...
            X