No announcement yet.

Backup problems with memory stick, now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup problems with memory stick, now!

I've found it impossible to backup my FTM stuff on floppy or CD, so I got a memory stick. That won't do it, either! It says the same as it did for the others - "There is data on this floppy. [doh! of course there is, I didn't get it just for FTM stuff! :(] Please insert blank formatted floppy in it's place."

The hard drive I got seems to be successful, but I want to take my FTM info, or at least a gedcom, with me when I go and visit rellies next week, hence the memory stick.

Any help out there? What am I doing wrong?:o

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Oh dear - looks like I've frightened everyone away! :o

There were 10 people viewing when I posted this - now there are only 2! LOL

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Bee

I never bother to use the Backup option in FTM.
      All you need to do is go to the folder on your PC that holds the name of yor file.ftw file and copy that file to the memory stick.

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

If you look at the FTM online help you will see that problems can be encountered when backing up to CD. It seems to vary between different types of CD and differing configurations of computers.

Have your tried backing your file up to the desktop and then copying the file across to your memory stick?
        Alternatively as Trevor says, find out where your master FTM is stored (it will have a ftw extension) and make a copy of the file.

You say you wish to take a copy of your file to show rellies - do they have Family Tree Maker installed on a computer - if not you will need to take it in gedcom format.
        Elaine

Comment

There you go Bee, two answered

LOL

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I back up my FTM files to CD and Memory stick by dragging a copy of the files to the appropriate icon on the desktop and it works every time.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Love your 'quotes' Wendy

Researching:

Comment

OK!!! Yeay!! Done it!! :D:D

Thanks all.

I did what Trevor suggested - thanks for the "name of yor file.ftw file" instruction, I don't quite understand all the suffixes so it's helpful when people give me clear examples like that.

And I took Wendy's advice on dragging the icon into the memory stick folder, and it worked ok. Though it didn't when I tried it before - but that was the FTM programme icon I think, so maybe that explains the failure.

And thanks for that reminder Elaine - I've got the right symbol in my memory stick folder, so hopefully it'll be ok. I managed to click the right bits, but I've no idea 2 minutes later what I did!

Thanks - till next time!

BTW, is there a standard abrieviation for 'memory stick'? It takes a lot of key-pressing to write it in full.

Bee.
                Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Working...
                X