I think this may well be 1920s..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think this may well be 1920s..

Here are 3 maybe 4 generations of the same family. I think the small child is either my grandmother or one of her sisters.

I have a theory about the clothes older ladies wear. By the time you reach your 30s, my belief is that your clothing tastes are often set in the fashions of your 20s. I often notice women in my town wearing the styles of their youth and can say there goes a '30s/40s/50s/and onwards' woman. You can see this happening in the photo.

So given that my great grandmother is possibly in her early 30s here and wearing something that is on the brink of the 1920s I think the picture may have been taken a few years later. Does anyone agree?

They were a poor family but they are wearing their absolute best here.

Link to bigger size photo: Flickr Photo Download: lots of generations

Anyway, do you agree? I don't quite know exactly who the older women are yet.

Looking at the photo, and at the clothes that are worn I would definitely say that the photo was taken before 1920, maybe just after the war, I would argue strongly that it's not from the 20s, things like the styles and the youngest womans hair make it all wrong for then.

Comment

I see she is wearing a wristwatch, if you can find out about when these became afordable for the working classes that may help date it. Theres a pic in the FTF Costume Gallery accessories of a woman's watch 1913

Comment

good morning....just an observation but if you look at the small rounded collar the gentleman is wearing it should give an indication as this being the fashion when the Titanic went down...almost all the photos of this era has men wearing this style of collar....I`ll google Titanic but I think it was early 1900`s...back in a mo...allan..ADDED...1912..DOES THIS FIT IN WITH YOUR GRANDMOTHERS D.O.B....Allan
        Last edited by garstonite; 07-09-08, 07:35.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

looks to be 4 generations on the pic brenda xxx

Comment

I feel the picture might be about 1910-14. It really doesn't have the 'feel' of the 1920s about it.

Anne

Comment

Hmm if it was the teens then it wouldn't be my grandmother who was born in '22. Aunty Vera was born 1915, Edna in 1918...I wondered if my G Grandma had maybe had that dress a while. So the little 'un could well be Vera!

Blimey I've just discovered a Great Uncle Thomas who died as a child I didn't know about. *hugs Free BMD* I'm not even researching this family yet, really.

I would love it to be 4 generations.

Comment

There does look to be 4 generations there, but whether they are direct rellies, l dont know.. Little girl looks about 2, Couple standing behind look 20/30. Lady to childs right looks about 50 and old lady the other side looks 70 plus , so it could be child, parents, grandmother, great grandmother. If it is you are very lucky
                Pam

Comment

Don't forget the child could be a boy or a girl. They dressed them in dresses whatever the sex until well into the 1920s at least!

Anne

Comment

The child could be either sex, but I think I see a ribbon in the hair, difficult to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                      looks to be 4 generations on the pic brenda xxx
                      I would agree with that, and suggest the child is possibly the first born of the couple standing at the back. I have two photos of four generations which overlap making five generations, and it is the first child who is featured in both cases (my elder sister and her first daughter - didn't include my father or my brother in law though ).

Roger

Comment

I agree that the couple standing at the back are the parents of the little girl who looks about 2, and I think the older two women are probably his mother and grandmother. The little girl and her mother have similar shaped faces whereas the older women seem to have more of the man's type of features. I would think the photo dates from pre 1920.
                        :D Carolyn

Comment

I'd have said about 1912/14 too. The sort of tunic and long skirt on the younger adult was very fashionable at the start of WW1.
                          Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Good point Carolyn, could well be the parents and both grandmothers, one rather older than the other. I think the older lady on the left looks like the younger lady and the one on the right, like the man.

Roger
                            Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 09-09-08, 23:00.

Comment

I've asked my Wield relatives if they can get a copy of the family tree that G Uncle Ron did (not born at the time of this photo) so I can have a stab at working out who the older ladies are. In the meantime, I had a go at restoring the photo and am inclined to agree with Roger at the moment...

Comment

When did the wearing of wristwatches come into fashion?

I thought they did not until they became popular because of being used during WW1 by soldiers

Comment

I'm still convinced that this is after WW1 despite the fashions so maybe G Grandad Fred bought her the watch as a present.

I found this article on the history of wristwatches:
                                  Last edited by staticgirl; 21-09-08, 12:44. Reason: addition

Comment

Working...
                                  X