Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POW help needed please folks

Morning all

I'm struggling to work out whether some of the Scottish parishes are complete or not.

Matt has kindly submitted several pictures for Kirkcudbrightshire, Places of Worship:Kirkcudbrightshire - Family Tree Forum, the problem is that i can't tell whether the parishes are fully complete or not. Can anyone assist?

The Genuki Gazetteer does list some details but it isn't clear whether some parishes have just the one remaining church or possibly more than one.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Just adding this for a mo,

Gatehouse Of Fleet Churches;

Gatehouse Parish Church

Gatehouse Episcopal Church http://www.greyfriarsstmarys.org.uk/

Gatehouse Catholic Church

Gatehouse Pentecostal Church http://www.gatehousechristianfellowship.org.uk/
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 06-09-08, 11:17.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen is this site any use..

Scottish Churches - All denomimations.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

I have used several sources for checking what churches exits in Hertfordshire - I'm still adding to the list!

I google a lot.

For example, I found this:

Churches in Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightsh.

Some county councils in England have a pretty exhaustive list of POWs in their area.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Raven's link is very similar to the one I have for Hertfordshire County Council, which lists POWs by denomination. It has been so useful for me.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I have pulled together quite a few sites and lots of info for Berwickshire and Roxburghshire, bits and bobs for Selkirkshire and in the early days of the pow some stuff for Northumberland. Many have been added to the regional threads.

Part of the problem with Scotland is a lack of co-ords, hence setting up the database of submitted images on the site for everyone to see (hopefully then a co-ord who steps forward will have a starting point they can work from) and it avoids the problems for anyone wanting to submit pictures trying to see what has or hasn't been done.

The major drawback is that it can only be edited by myself or an administrator/mod and i'm working pretty much single handed. Taking pics and creating talk pages, uploading images and updating the database etc i can handle with the situation as it stands but it's trying to work out whether a parish is complete or not that where i need another pair of hands.

I know Kat has done a database for Lincolnshire,all the known church names etc and updates the list with the submitted pics, Lincs is a big county and it must take ages to compile and keep up to date. I couldn't manage something similiar for Scotland though as it covers a bigger area, several regions though and probably more buildings.

Sorry if it sounds like a rant, it isn't meant to be, i'm just trying to be realistic and learn from what has been done previously on other regions, take the best ideas and put them into practice to make it as easy as possible but on my own it's a bit too much to manage.
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 06-09-08, 12:28.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen not sure what your after... brain not in gear today at all :o

Anyway what about this Counties in Scotland

as you click on each county a list of parishes comes up.

The Kirkcudbright list of parishes you have seems to match up with the list on the above site.

I do get confused myself though with some, for instance, Stirling list gives Polmont as a Stirling parish (which it probably was but Polmont now comes under Falkirk)
              With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Just had a quick scan through this thread. ----- Have some picture taken a few weeks ago, while out for a run with hubby. They are not yet named for posting, I had struggled to find out which church belongs to which parish.

Glen haven't started Carriden yet map wise its very small but found via Genuk and much to my surprise it includes Blackness. Will be about 3 weeks plus before I can take them.

BigShaz Polmont ----- is a pain if you go to the Falkirk Archives ----- you get yes that's Polmont but it's landward so goes under Stirling. Drives me nuts. Is there a church you need from area.

Will keep an eye on this thread just incase someone finds a list with all the parish boundaries with old and new churches.

Jan

Comment

The IGI parishes and parishes on GENUKI are good for a starting point. I have also used Hertfordshire Archives' own list of (old) parishes.

However, they are no way complete! A lot of the parishes have changed, and as our remit is to include all denominations, these sources in no way form the complete picture.

I have been amazed at how many other denominations exist in my immediate area. I never realised how many POWs were right on my doorstep!
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Shaz

The query is that some parishes have maybe one church whereas others can have dozens. A parish can cover part of a town/city, a few square miles around a village or a large rural area containing several villages. Boundary changes from when the IGI lists were compiled to the current boundaries can cause confusion but it can largely be overcome.

Add in the Scottish denomination problems and it gets complicated.

Take the small town of Duns, Berwickshire for example, three minutes drive from one end to the other, and less than a minute across, just three pow's in use now but there were at one point;

The Parish Church

Boston Free Church

United Presbyterian Church (East).

United Presbyterian Church (South).

United Presbyterian Church (West).

Episcopalian Church

Chapel of St Mary Magdalene

The Roman Catholic Church

The Brethren on Market Place

Methodist House and later a Methodist Chapel.

Some are still in use, some are demolished and some have been converted to other uses. I know which ones fall into current, destroyed and converted but it took a couple of hours of googling.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There is a chance that some info could be gleaned from the FHS but i have no genealogy interests in the area so i'm not a member, they do have some publications relating to the parishes and pow's within their area

Notes

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

And of course even some churches still in use have changed denomination more than once in their lifetime.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by deletejb View Post

BigShaz Polmont ----- is a pain if you go to the Falkirk Archives ----- you get yes that's Polmont but it's landward so goes under Stirling. Drives me nuts. Is there a church you need from area.

Jan
                          Jan, Thankyou for the offer however I'm not looking for anything in Polmont I just used it as an example. My lot are from Glasgow (actually we are from all over... but ended up in Glasgow) and OH's Stirling but one of my 'Glasgow' born Aunts moved from Stirling to Polmont and thats how I knew it was Falkirk shes now gone back to Stirling but not really because shes in Bannockburn :D its all weird isn't it.

Glen... I'm getting it now.
                          Not sure how I can help you on this one though.... sadly!

Have just started sifting through reams of my own BMD's to see if I could find out that way the names of churched in certain parishes etc.
                          Thought I was doing a good thing and would be able to help but now not so sure. For instance I have registration here of a marriage in District of Anderston, Burgh of Glasgow.
                          The marriage was at St Patricks church but underneath is another marriage which took place in St Matthews Blythswood parish church, Glasgow.

So nothing really being made clear...lol

Can't even find my cert of baptism to check out the parish... I was christened in Barony North church which is spitting distance from The other Barony church (known as Red Barony to locals) and also from Glasgow Catherdral which Tom submitted a photo of under St Mungo's Cathedral... (hope no-one gets confused with that and St Mungo's chapel which was also in the vicinity) and also a spit round the corner was another church in John Knox St which has since been demolished.

I see what you mean about parishes and the amount of POW's to each one.

MIL is a parishionor of Logie Kirk which seems to cover a large-ish area now but is in Stirling/shire nut if you look for the parish of Logie it appears to be in Fife :D

Sorry Glen, best I can do is take plenty of photos of POW's next time I go 'home' eldest son took quite a few for you, at my request, when he was up two weeks ago.... sadly he didn't think to take down the names of them!!

Maybe we should have a 'Find the location quiz' Lol
                          With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Working...
                          X