Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping your ancestors

Evenin all.

Does anybody know, is there a way of plotting the whereabouts of your ancestors on a map - I think it would be quite interesting to see how they are distributed.

Is this possible through FTM or Ancestry, or would you have to put all the places in your tree into a different pogram?

It can be done but I don't know what software program is used.

I cannot think what question to ask on google.

Time I went to bed.

Hugo

Comment

Found this on Google

GenMap UK - GenMap UK: Historical & Genealogical Mapping Software Program

Seems you can input data from a Gedcom.

Sounds just what you need.

Roger

Comment

Thanks Hugo & thanks Roger. I'm starting to nod off now - I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by karensainsbury View Post
          Evenin all.

Does anybody know, is there a way of plotting the whereabouts of your ancestors on a map - I think it would be quite interesting to see how they are distributed.

Is this possible through FTM or Ancestry, or would you have to put all the places in your tree into a different pogram?
          I use Google Maps. You can set up something under "My Maps" - I have one saved as Family Tree which pin points all the areas, you can label the pin with the address and with the edit facility you can enter notes such as which family members lived in that area or whatever other notes you want. I have found it invaluable as a simple system to see the areas involved - I have Legacy 7 now which has the mapping function but I still use Google maps (and when they get street search on the UK I will be able to see the address in real life!!)
          Marion
          There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

you can also try this site

Wayfaring

which someone on here pointed out to me some time ago
            Barbara

Comment

Thanks Marion & Barbara.

I tried googling & found "Map my ancestors" which apparently is linked to google earth. I clicked to download it & found it was a 30 day free trial. I've now got it on my desk top but can't work out what to do with it or whether I'll get an enormous bill after 30 days if I can't work out how to cancel it!

Has anybody tried it?

Oh, how I wish I was a computer whizz!!

Comment

I am not sure about mapping your own ancestors, however if you want to map out the distribution of a particular surname, then you have been able to do this since the digitisation of the 1881 Census, and if you have the original 1881 CD set you can do it yourself. So if you are looking for the distribution of the name Slater then you find out where the concentration of that name is but your Slater in Yorkshire may or may not be related to the Slaters in Cornwall. I tried it when the digitised version of the 1881 Census first arrived. I think this is why "Lost Cousins" is based on the 1881 Census.

Try the following website for more information:

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 06-09-08, 17:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
                  you can also try this site

Wayfaring

which someone on here pointed out to me some time ago
                  This is one of my wayfaring maps - it needs updating, but you can get the idea anyway.

Wayfaring Map - The Cotswold Families
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

OMG Caroline!

Do you have any Tompkins from Marsh Gibbon Bucks in your tree?

Joanie

Comment

Caroline,

Have you any O'Neill from Bristol or Birmingham??

Joan,

Have you ever been to Marsh Gibbon? I have a couple of pictures I took of the Manor House and Church as one of mine was there for a short while.

Janet
                      Last edited by Janet; 06-09-08, 19:55.

Comment

That's a great site, Barbara.

Even more ways for me to fritter my time away! Looks like I'll never get my spring-cleaning done! ;)

Bee.
                        Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                        COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Hi Janet

No I haven't. What's it like?

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                            OMG Caroline!

Do you have any Tompkins from Marsh Gibbon Bucks in your tree?

Yes ...... living there in 1871 and 1881 :D .... they are descendants of John Ditom Tompkins and are my distantish cousins - I am not at home at the moment to double check how, but they are on my site Caroline's Family History Pages: TOMPKINS John

Any good??????

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                            Caroline,

Have you any O'Neill from Bristol or Birmingham??

Janet
                            Janet - Not that I know of, but I haven't done much with them yet. Mine started out in Barnalyra, Co. Mayo.
                            Caroline
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Interesting.

Another item for my round tuit list.

Hugo

Comment

Caroline,

Sadly no my O'Neills are from Co Tipperary back to 1827 and god knows where my Great G father married a Cummins around 1825ish! But I do have one who emigrated from Cork to Bristol and one to Birmingham about 1920ish but have been unable to find contacts for these two families.

Joan,

I can send you some pics of the Church and the Manor House of Marsh Gibbon if you are interested and can send me your e mail. It is a very small village with thatch cottages and the main interest is the Church and the Manor House next door. I don't think there was a pub or anywhere to eat but I was pleased I went as it made me realise where my ancestor most probably worked was the Manor House, not main line but mentioned in an intriguing will.

Sorry if I have hijacked thread.

Janet
                                Last edited by Janet; 07-09-08, 11:28.

Comment

Is the wayfaring one free to join, Caroline?

ps Don't worry about hijacking the thread, Janet, we've all done it!

Comment

ps I still can't get "Map my ancestors " to run. There's a test tree to try out on there but I can't get it to do anything, so I don't think that one's very user friendly!

Comment

Originally posted by karensainsbury View Post
                                      Is the wayfaring one free to join, Caroline?
                                      Yes it is free, just register on the My Wayfaring link on Wayfaring and start plotting!

I have been googling and it looks as though Google's MyMaps might be better these days ... My Maps - Google Maps User Guide .... but I haven't tried it.

Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                        Yes ...... living there in 1871 and 1881 :D .... they are descendants of John Ditom Tompkins and are my distantish cousins - I am not at home at the moment to double check how, but they are on my site Caroline's Family History Pages: TOMPKINS John

Any good??????

Joan,

I have just remembered about this thread - what is/was your connection with the Tompkins???

Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X