Google Books question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Books question

Following on from the thread on Google Books, I have revisited it & have found more references to William Hanks Levy. One was from his own book, Blindness & the Blind, which the was sadly only a snippet from (btw is there a way to find out how to get hold of this book?) & the 2nd was from the Cornhill magazine & mentioned him as part of an article about the blind. This was very interesting & i now want to print it out, but can't work out how to just print the pages I require, 612-617. Anyone any ideas?
    The Cornhill Magazine - Google Book Search
    Lynn

Re the Cornhill Magazine article - at the top right of the screen you will see an option to download the books as a pdf file or view in plain text. If you view in plain text, you can then copy and paste the section you need.
    Elaine

Comment

Brilliant Elaine, thanks.
      Does anyone know how to find out about the other book please? I thought that the site could tell you, but I can't see where
      Lynn

Comment

On the right-hand side of the page it says "Buy this book", and there's a list of booksellers to try.

On some pages it also says "Borrow this book", and you can search for the nearest library that stocks it.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-09-08, 20:50.

Comment

Failing that, make a note of the ISBN number, title and author, etc, and trot off to your local library who will order it for you - costs about £2.50 the last time I did this.

OC

Comment

Thanks Mary, I can't believe that I hadn't noticed that :o Neither that or another that he wrote seems to be widely available, one only being at Cambridge Uni & one at the Wellcome Foundation. I am not sure if I would borrow them, but I certainly want to know more about him
            Lynn

Comment

If you find a book is in a college or uni, you will find that it cannot be transferred to your local library

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Trevor

Every book ever published in England and Wales has a representative copy in the British Library.

The Inter-library lending service uses the British Library if it cannot find the book elsewhere in the county library system.

OC

Comment

Well there is no harm in asking, they can only say no
                  Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                    If you find a book is in a college or uni, you will find that it cannot be transferred to your local library
                    Not strictly true. I managed to borrow a rather valuable book (recent but privately published) through the inter-library loan scheme. The librarian worked her socks off and eventually borrowed a copy from Newcastle University library. I paid 50p to read a book that I saw on sale at £2000.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I was allowed to borrow a privately-printed book worth thousands, through the inter-library lending system.

My contact tried to borrow the same book through her library, couldn't, was directed to the British Library, who wouldn't lend it but photocopied it for her at a cost of £1 per page plus vat! Cost her nearly £200.

OC

Comment

Thanks John & OC, its nice to know that it is possible
                        Lynn

Comment

I think it was OC who suggested I should try.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It probably was :D
                            Lynn

Comment

Working...
                            X