Wheres their grave gone ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheres their grave gone ??

I discovered my G Grandparents were buried in a church not to far from where I live so decided to pay I visit. The church has been converted to offices and where the graves should have been is now a car park !

On archive photos of the church gravestones can seen.

Anyone have any ideas about these things. Would they have been moved ?

Tony, if you tell us the name of the church and where it is maybe someone can find something out? I know that sometimes old graves are dug up and the contents are moved so that could well be the case here. Do you know the date when the archive photos were taken so we know a date to work from?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Tony

it might be worth contacting the local council, they might be able to shed some light on the matter.
      Vikki -
      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Thanks for the reply KiteRunner.

The church in question is ST JAMES, BIRCH, in RUSHOLME. MANCHESTER.

The photo is on Manchester archive images dated 1920.

My G Grandparents died in the MID 1920S. Not sure of exact date just yet but could find out. Their names were GEORGE and SARAH ELLEN FARMERY.

Comment

The church closed in 1981 according to Genuki. I took a pic of the church recently it is in the Wiki
          PAT

Comment

I remember when they built the shopping centre in Oldham in the 50s or 60's they had to remove all the graves in the churchyard

Comment

I am going to the archives sometime next week I will ask for you
              PAT

Comment

Thanks Pat. Much appreciated.

Comment

I spoke to the archivist at Manchester Local Records and he said that the graveyard closed in 1953 and the remains were removed in 1983 when the church was sold for residential use. The remains could have possibly been moved to Southern cemetery.There are burial registers and some monumental inscriptions available at the records office (Central Library)

Unfortunatley I hadn't made a note of the names so I couldn't look for you
                  Last edited by Pat Hope; 08-09-08, 15:39.
                  PAT

Comment

Thank you very much Pat.

Comment

Hi to all
                      I'm new to this site and have just been reading through some posts and came accross this one.

For information regarding Burial or cremation records you might find these websites useful if you cannot get into Manchester.

Manchester City Council

One site is free whilst the other is pay per view. There is also useful telephone numbers etc.

Good luck with your search.
                      Best wishes
                      Pauline

Comment

Working...
                      X