16th and 17th century scandals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16th and 17th century scandals

I've just come across a batch of court cases on the National Archives site dating from the late 16th and early 17th century (mostly libel cases), and some of the titles make fascinating reading. I hope I won't be modded if I post a few of them.

Some things are totally outside our experience, but many things clearly haven't changed at all.

12. BOWDEN Ellen Booth c Ann Venables wife of William Venables for calling her whore, arrant whore, wedded mans whore and William Colsolls whore who paid her 8/- - libel.
    13. HALSALL Gilbert Halsall c Thomas Halsall executor of Cuthbert Halsall late rector c Edward Hulme for four years arrears of dues for flax and canabis - libel.
    17. MALPAS John Kerison of Bradley son of William Kerison c Margaret John alias Kerison for nullity. He was aged 10 at the time of his marriage and so was she - decree

6. SHOTWICK Laurence Swettenham c John & Margery Carter saying he kept a whore in every town - libel.
    18. CHESTER (St Bridget) Penance for Bathsheba Halton falsely accusing John Longford of adultery to get him to marry her. He was a lodger.
    24. PRESTBURY (Adlington) Thomas Coughen c Thomas Lawton preacher of God's word for adultery with Mary Beech, tussling with her in a chair and for bastardy - libel, deposition.
    25. PRESTBURY (Adlington) Thomas Lawton c John & Matilda Blackshaw saying he committed adultery with Beech in a chair and a barn at Adlington Hall - libel, deposition, responsions.
    39. RUNCORN Elizabeth Jackson c Humphrey Johnson for divorce on grounds of frigidity, impotence, inability to copulate - libel, depositions, responsions, interrogations.
    47. POULTON Anne Crane and others c Margery Taylor and others saying Ann should go to the mill and get her poake ground meaning the miller had her up against the hopper - libel, responsions, depositions.
    54. HOLT Office c Richard Nowell chapelwarden for playing bowls dice cards at Evening prayer time, committing adultery with Catherine Millington and taking communion table from church to ale house to play cards on - responsions, libel.
    61. BOLTON William Carliell c John Butterfield for fornication and bastardy with Alice Sweetlove - libel, depositions.
    98. BLACKBURN Margaret Tomlinson c Ann Marshen calling her witch, had betwitched children, saying she would draw her blood - libel.
    121. THURSTASTON Syon Venables rector c Gabriel Boardman clerk for intruding into ministers stall, appropriating church keys and preventing Venables from reading service.
    122. THURSTASTON Churchwardens c Thomas Reeve for non payment of assessments and Elena saying churchwardens made her husband drunk - libel.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-09-08, 13:28.

at number 17
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

OOOOOHHH, I wonder if that is MY Thomas Lawton? (24)

I have several decrees of nullity even earlier than this, for child marriages. There was normally a huge fine, paid to the person who didn't want the child marriage annulled, which usually meant their parents.

OC

Comment

What interesting reading, thanks for letting us see them, Mary.
        How did you come across them? Did you have to put in specific names, or are they a category of records that we can look at?
        Janexxx
        To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

I found them by chance when I was searching the National Archives site for Elizabeth Jackson.

They're Consistory Court records, held by the Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies Service, not by the National Archives.

Comment

If you use the TNA advanced search, enter the name of the place or person you're interested in and the word "libel", and a date range; the earliest dates produce the most interesting results. However, not all areas have as much material as Cheshire.

The National Archives Advanced Search

Comment

Thanks, Mary, I'm off to have a nose!

Comment

I once met a woman doing research into the Bawdy Courts when I was visiting the Norfolk Record Office. I sneaked a look at what she was working on, and as I recall it looked like thousands of small bits of paper covered in unintelligible scrawl. Survival is going to vary from place to place (I'll bet Surrey has very little) but there is likely to be masses of this sort of stuff around, simply not catalogued.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Appearances before a court were so common that some dioceses pre-printed schedules of penance for fornication, leaving spaces for the names of the parties to be entered in.

BBC - History - Church Courts

Comment

Oooh, I've found an ancestor

43. MANCHESTER Elizabeth Massie c Anna Roscoe taken naughty with James Hibbard at midnight in Market Sted Lane - libel.

Now they had a way with words in those days . I'll leave you to guess which one is mine

Comment

Comment

Love it!!!

"Taken naughty"

rotflmao
                        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

those were incredibly funny!!!!

the minster who gambled was the best. made my mum laugh

Comment

Just found more of these court cases - all in Cheshire, around 1600. Here are a few examples:

Richard Lud[?] for laying le mucke in Trinity Lane (6d.).

William Alcock for keeping a great quantity of faggots and gorse in his backside (6s.8d.)

Swinestys: Thomas Watkin for keeping pigs in his backside (6s.8d.).

Annoyances: John Milner for the muckhill in his backside and for keeping pigs there to the annoyance of Peter Wignall, innholder (12d.).

"Unlawful games" (Margin): Hugh Case and William Shurlock for playing at "le footeball" in the time of divine preaching in the cemetery of St. Werburge (2s. each); James Smith for keeping unlawful games in his house (6s.8d); John Wade, for keeping in his house tables to play at "le shofleboord"; and for selling ale and not keeping the assize (6s.8d).

The National Archives | Access to Archives

Comment

"....keeping pigs in his backside" - the mind boggles! I had to dismiss very rapidly from my brain the image it evoked.:o
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

This sounded straight from Cold Comfort Farm: 'get her poake ground meaning the miller had her up against the hopper'.

Thanks Mary -
                                Liz

Comment

LOL Mary!!!!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                  X