FTM 2008 .......a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2008 .......a question

I have bought FTM 2008, decided it was about time I tried it. I have imported my tree into it and am trying to find my way around, very confused at the moment.

My question is:
    My great grandmother was married 3 times. My great grandfather was her 3rd hubby.
    When I get her on the main page, on the panel on the right it only has 3rd hubby listed.
    If I double click on her name it lists all marriages and children of those marriages.

Is there any way that these three marriages can be listed in order on the panel on the right?

The screenshot below is what I am talking about, might explain it better than me.

This is the view with all marriages listed if I double click on her name

Comment

I don't know for sure Margaret but I don't think there is.
      What you are seeing in the right hand column is an expansion of the details relating to the partners shown on the family view (bottom central) or ancestral chart (top central).
      As she is shown there with husband Thomas Yates, then it is only his details that are shown.

I'll have a play and let you know if I find anything.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine

I've been having a play but nothing jumps out. Would make sense to me to be able to have all marriages listed in order of occurence.

I've only installed 2008 this morning and still trying to get my head around it.

Comment

The most obvious way would be by clicking on Customize view at the bottom of the right hand panel.
          Found this on the online help
          Answer
          - doesn't look as if you can customise to include other marriages.
          Elaine

Comment

Oh well.

Would have made sense, well I think so, to have listed all of a persons marriages in that bit and in the right order.

I'm still playing. Have only just found where it has listed all of my notes about people.

I suppose I'll get used to it.

What do you do when you have new people to add? Do you add them to 2008 or 2006 or both?

I think I will keep adding them to 2006 at the moment and then import a new tree to 2008 as and when it's needed.

Comment

Margaret, have you tried registering the 2008 as Im having no joy. Its now saying that it cannot connect with the server or something :(

Comment

Yes Heather, did it first time of trying.

Have you got you 19 digit code from the package it came with?

Comment

Heather

have you looked here

Answer

Comment

Margaret, there isnt a code on mine but apart from that it doesnt even connect to put a code. Just says cant contact server.

I tried that answer thingy. I CAN get into ancestry.com.

I tried the link they say to do and I get a page of gobble de gook - with this as a heading:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

I have tried disabling fire wall.

Scream.
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 05-09-08, 20:28.

Comment

Perhaps I should uninstall and reinstall.

Comment

Might be worth a try Heather - and before you try to register download the updates.
                        I think the code that Margaret is referring to is on the paper inside the disc box- it gives you a month free Ancestry. I thought I had done mine when I installed it, but checked this morning and it accepted the code and extended my Ancestry subscription for a further month.
                        Elaine

Comment

I tried again and yes I can see the code in the box now but it still doesnt seem to think Im connected to the internet. Its maddening. I clicked on updates and it just says up to date. Cant see how it can say that when it then says Im not connected to net.

Comment

If you have just reinstalled it then it cannot possibly be up to date, as there have been at least two updates since we bought the disc last September.

I can only suggest you put a query on the FTM help line and see if Russ can sort you out.
                            Family Tree Maker Installation Forum
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              Might be worth a try Heather - and before you try to register download the updates.
                              I think the code that Margaret is referring to is on the paper inside the disc box- it gives you a month free Ancestry. I thought I had done mine when I installed it, but checked this morning and it accepted the code and extended my Ancestry subscription for a further month.

Yes I got an extra free month on Ancestry. Don't know what your problem is Heather, perhaps you should try the online help or ringing them?

Comment

Heather - have a look at the announcement at the top of this page
                                FamilyTreeMaker.com - Find Answers FamilyTreeMaker.com - (Page 1 of 6)
                                Maybe if you get your updates from here you might be able to register.
                                Elaine

Comment

I google for problems re internet access and there seems to be a lot of people with it. They suggest downloading a patch manually to do it. Ive tried to do that but I need winzip to open it and my freebie has run out. Ive just now downloaded a years free winzip by buying £20 worth of ink through trialpay but Im now stuck at opening it - see my thread on general.

Comment

Working...
                                  X