Opinions please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please...

I have probably asked this here before, but there's no longer a thread so I'm asking again...

This is what I have

1881 - Heckmondwike
    James Siddal abt 1854 Leeds Lodger

I have James' marriage certificate from October 1881, which gives his age as 24. He is listed as a Dyer and his father is George Siddle, also a Dyer.

I'm wondering if the 1881 James is the same as the one in the other censuses?

Births Dec 1847
    SIDDLE James Wakefield 22 672

1851 - Wakefield
    George Siddle abt 1817 Wakefield Head
    Harriet Siddle abt 1816 Wakefield Wife
    Sarah Ann Siddle abt 1836 Wakefield Daughter
    Charles Siddle abt 1838 Wakefield Son
    James Siddle abt 1847 Wakefield Son
    George Siddle abt 1850 Wakefield Son

1861 - Wakefield
    George Sidell abt 1816 Wakefield Head
    Harriet Sidell abt 1815 Wakefield Wife
    Jane Sidell abt 1844 Wakefield Daughter
    James Sidell abt 1848 Wakefield Son

1871 - Liversedge
    Geroge Siddle abt 1815 Wakefield Head
    Harriet Siddle abt 1815 Wakefield Wife
    James Siddle abt 1848 Wakefield Son

1891 - Huddersfield
    James Siddel abt 1850 Wakefield Lodger

1901 - Wakefield Prison
    James Siddle abt 1848 Wakefield Prisoner

I have been unable to find a James Siddle born in Leeds.
    What do you think?
    Tracy

I cannot see a James Siddal b c1854 Leeds in previous census - and the occupation matches.
    It certainly looks a good possible.
    Any clue from the address on his MC?
    Elaine

Comment

No, it just says Heckmondwike, which is where he is on the census.

It just puzzles me. He's been a pain in my research since I found out about him lol
      Why say Wakefield on all censuses except 1881? And why the difference in age in just that year?
      I know seamen moved around a lot and may have been away for the census, but surely a dyer would stay in the same-ish place all his life.
      Last edited by Orangeblossom; 05-09-08, 13:21.
      Tracy

Comment

I wonder if the family moved to Liversedge but James got homesick or needed to move back to Wakefield for some reason - perhaps he married. It looks like he was on his own from c 1871. I suspect that he fell on hard times and although a dyer by profession, he may have looked round for work in a number of areas. When you're living on the edge you're more likely to do something minor that would have you in the nick.

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
          No, it just says Heckmondwike, which is where he is on the census.
          Why say Wakefield on all censuses except 1881? And why the difference in age in just that year?
          I suppose Heckmondwike on both the MC and census does help you think you might have the right one.
          As to his age and place of birth being slightly different, maybe the Head of household was not sure and made a guess.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks

Is there any way to 'prove' they're the same guy? I have this nagging suspicion, and last time I had one of those it turned out I was looking at the wrong people lol
            Tracy

Comment

It is very difficult to prove - often easier to disprove!

Check all other census for James Siddal born abt 1854 Leeds - check BMDs. If you cannot find another James Siddal that matches the 1881 census then chances are he is yours!
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine.
                Unfortunately, I can find a James Siddle born 1854 in Pudsey, which is in Leeds, on YorkshireBMD. It's not on FreeBMD though.
                He is on the censuses up to 1871 with father John. After that, I don't know where he goes. However, in 1871 his occupation is not Dyer.
                Tracy

Comment

ther's a james siddle born in wakefield in dec 1847.

they would just say 1848 or 1849 on the census as the year of birth.
                  i have an ancestor born on 31 dec 1869, but on the census it was always 1870 or 1871.

and there are a few in bradford around 1846.
                  i searched under jam*s sid* on freebmd. lots came up, maybe you should have a look?

Comment

Thanks Kyle. I have that Wakefield birth already, as stated in my first post.
                    I have looked through FreeBMD and YorkshireBMD for the birth of James Siddle who, according to his marriage cert, should have been born c1857.

I'm stuck with the Wakefield one for now. Even with the nagging doubt, I can't find another to suit lol
                    Tracy

Comment

Working...
                    X