Cole in Slapton and Ugborough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cole in Slapton and Ugborough

The thread about how far back we'd got got me looking at my wife's family again....

I can trace them through the parish records for Slapton back to Robert Cole (Coal) who married Elizabeth Stabb 27 March 1780. From IGI I can track back to Sampson Cole b 1704 in Slapton - the line is quite straightforward ....

Sampson b 1704
    Sampson b 1730
    Robert b 1753

They then seem to vanish from Slapton, but there is a Sampson Cole b 1674 in Ugborough who may have married Mary Davies of Slapton on 6 March 1697 in Slapton.

Fromn him I can get back through Adam b 1630, Adam b 1586, Laurence b 1566, Nichi b 1533, Laurence b 1515 - all in Ugborough.

Two questions really ...

1) Does it look likely?

2) Can anybody think of a way of proving the link between Ugborough and Slapton
    Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Is Ugborough near Slapton at all? Sorry to admit I've never heard of either of them! I suppose you could look for wills and settlement certificates (did they have those in those days, though?)

When you say you have found Sampson born 1704 on the IGI, does it give his parents' names? Or at least his father's name?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kate, Slapton is on the coast of Devon near Dartmouth. Ugborough is about 15 miles away up on the edge of Dartmoor. Yes, the IGI records show both father's and mother's names all the way back. - Sampson's father is Sampson
      Last edited by Mark Dudley; 05-09-08, 11:05.

Comment

Any commonality of possible occupations, apart from agriculture? In some places it could be mining or weaving or paper-making, but unlikely for this one.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Have you tried A2A? or the wonderful online Freeholders records? Or early chancery cases - quite good descriptions on TNA.

I can't remember offhand, but I think my Coles are in neighbouring Diptford at a very early period.

Stoat indexed a lot of Devon records for this period. I have several of his books. E179 is a wonderful class at Kew, listing various tax payers, which again provides clues.

Ugborough may be way inland, but I think you could slip up one of the rivers and quite easily get to Totnes, then go by road. People seemed to bomb around Devon with complete disregard for the problems of transport - at least my lot did.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

My lot did as well. From about 1690 they wandered around Ugborough, Diptford, North Huish and Modbury. Still in Ugborough apparently. A couple went off to Plymouth.

Comment

Can't find anything in A2A Phoenix ... Where are the Freeholder records held please?

Comment

Have you tried Google Books, Mark. I just had a quick look with Laurence Cole Devon, the first one came up (with no preview...grrrrrr) with my man Scoble and Laurence Cole.

We might be rellies.....

Comment

Have you tried looking at parish records? If they were both living in their original parishes at the time of the marriage, the banns should have been read in both parishes.

Comment

Chancery cases have come up trumps on Laurence Cole! Doesn't prove my link, but how interesting!

Laurence Cole and Mary, his wife, daugh-of Lewis Bury, of Ugborough, gentleman. v. Thomas Derke and Margery his wife, another daughter.: Proceeds of the sale of the wardship and marriage of William, son and heir of Thomas Wevell, bought by the said Lewisand sold by defendants as directed by his will, because he would not marry the said Mary.: Devon.
                    and

Elizabeth Deering of Ugborough, Devon, widow v Laurence Cole of Ugborough, tippler and his son Nicholas Cole. Law suits (one in duchy court of fee of Trematon) against plaintiff on bonds for debt. Bill.
                    Short title: Deeringe v Cole

Comment

It's in the Wiki, Mark, but here's a sample:

Friends of Devon Archives: Freeholders: 1741 Ermington hundred
                      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

*blush*

Ah! The Wiki!

Thanks

Comment

because he would not marry the said Mary
                          Ooh, I wonder why?

Comment

He probably reckoned he could make a more personally advantageous marriage elsewhere. Sentiment doesn't enter into it. He may also have resented Lewis Bury trying to get control of his fortune not just while he was a child, but into adulthood. One of my ancestors was married to the son of her mother's latest husband. This could have been a love match, but I doubt it. And the young husband was subsequently defending himself in lawsuits where children of his late father's previous wives were trying to recover their late mother's possessions.

Comment

Working...
                            X