Clear All

• Can I claim this marriage?

28 Dec 1874 St Mark Bolton
    Mary BOOTH age 45, sp, servant (made her X); lived Reservoir St, Bolton
    (father = Thomas BOOTH, lab)
    &
    William DAVIES (made his X) age 56, "b", excavator; lived Park St, Bolton
    (father = David DAVIES, servt);

Witn: Robert NAYLOR & Emma QUIBELL (both made X)

Lancs RO: BOOTH Mary, DAVIES William, Bolton, St Mark Bolton 63/1/110;
    GRO: 1874q4 Bolton 8c-347)

I have based this on Mary, b about 1827-8, Alton, Staffs, who appears to be d of Thomas BOOTH and Mary (née ?WEBB)
    1841 HO107-1006-1 Fo24
    1861 RG9-3002 fo71 p28
    1871 RG10-3717 fo79 p9
    1881 RG11-3460 fo96 p17
    She had three children without a change of surname: Hannah 1846 (no father named), and two more c 1847, and 1849-50. Then there are four DAVI(E)S children, 1857-68, of which the earliest may not be hers. She and William were together by 1861.

William, b 1821-2 Oswestry, I have matched with:
    1841 HO107/915/1 fo? p5
    1851 HO107/2316 fo376 p6
    1861 RG9-3002 fo71 p28
    1871 RG10-3717 fo79 p9
    1881 ?RG11/2653 fo40 p11
    He usually appears as a labourer of some kind, but 1861 "lab railway", and 1871 "navvie", both tie in with "excavator" on the marriage entry.

The ages seem within sight of expectation; the marital status for Mary seems right - not so sure about William (I have an unsourced :o ref to a possible wife - Mary Ann WILLIAMSON, dtr of James WILLIAMSON); the occupations are right; her father's name was what I expected. It also ties in with Hannah's first child being baptised at Holy Trinity, Bolton in 1872 (Hannah's third child is also registered in a district compatible with being at her mother's house for the birth).

It seems right - but those names are none too unusual, nor the occupations. It's just that the combinations of circumstantial evidence seem convincing to me.

Thanks for struggling through this far!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

well, it looks correct christine. but it's your family, you would no them better than us.

Comment

Have you managed to connect the witnesses with your William and Mary?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
        Have you managed to connect the witnesses with your William and Mary?
        Sorry - not ignoring everyone - had chance to go to TNA yesterday, and then have had web-connection problems.

Anyway - I haven't made any connection yet. Certainly there's nothing immediately obvious with info I have already, and I haven't had time to work on the names since getting the image. But thanks for reminding me of the possibility.

I think I shall regard them as mine, but with that allowance that it's not a certainty (but then, it's not often that these things are, is it!).

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
        X