London streets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London streets

Is there anywhere on line I can look at a map that will give me a street in London, Peter Street, Canning Town, that was there, certainly until the
    1950s.

As this area has been radically modernised, the street is no longer in the A-Z.

Kathlyn

Have you tried Charles Booth's poverty maps

Charles Booth Online Archive
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This is also an excellent site:
      MOTCO - Image Database

Are there any other idea in the Wiki?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Nell and Christine

Kathlyn

Comment

would this be of any help

INNER LONDON STREET NAME CHANGES

Linda
          LindaG

Comment

I've found a suitable map of the area but just can't pinpoint it. See if you can find it.

Found on Maps of London

Then using these directories it's somewhere in that area, but for life of me, I cannot find it. It needs a fresh pair of eyes.

Canning Town 1902  Post Office Street Directory - History of Canning Town - Barking Road, from the Iron bridge, Bow Creek to Plaistow
            Canning Town 1896  Post Office Street Directory - History of Canning Town - Barking Road, from the Iron bridge, Bow Creek to Plaistow
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I have looked at your map link and am looking at an old map on my lap!

Bottom right, second square in. Turn right off Barking Road into Beckton Road. First turning on the right is Mona Street, the next one on your map is Burke Street. The top half of Burke Street (Beckton Road end) was previously called Peter Street. It appears to have changed name about half-way! Hope that helps a bit. If not clear I will have another go at describing it!

Ice

Comment

Looking at a different map it was still there in 1964 when this one was pubished.

On this map it looks like the division between Burke Street and Peter Street was about where Lawrence Street intersected them.

Ice

Comment

Aaaaggghhh!!

I don't have time to look properly and I can't see it!

In 1881 there are some streets in the same enumeration district (spellings may be a bit iffy as the writing isn't great!

Moyan St West
                  Fisher St
                  Barking Road
                  Becklow Road
                  Trinity Street
                  Peter St
                  Morecombe St West
                  Vincent St North
                  Mary St
                  40 Acre Lane

Now I can see some of those streets to the left of where it says Canning Town on this page:

basically in the square with a big M in it, top left. But I can't see Peter St.

If I had spent more time looking and not typing this I might have found it!!

Sorry......must dash..........

Comment

Looks like I spent too much time typing! lol

Comment

On your links for directories:

Part 2 of Canning Town Index - No. 100 on the 1902 and No. 83 on 1896.

Ice

Comment

Working...
                      X