Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could anyone help? Family Tale..

First time posting- hello all!

Have been confronted with the following and wonder how others might go about tackling the issue:

In the 1930s or 1940s my mother's family - Davies very helpfully- went to Court over the proceeds of an estate.

I found out yesterday that the person who instigated the action was none other than my grandfather's grandma! I found this quite shocking as no-one has ever really talked about her much before- seems she was quite feisty!

The reason why she went to court is a member of her husband's family left the south wales valleys to work in America- he ended up in California working on a peach canning farm- a bit like Delmonte (or so they say!).

Anyway, long story short, he ended up owning the place and when he died, the family seem to have gone looking for a share of the proceeds.

No one seems sure what happened and I think it would make really interesting reading.

The trouble is I have no idea of a christian name for the person concerned or of the name of the organisation. The surname was Davies and I have only 2 unmarried Davies' in my tree- Ebenezer born 1859 and David born 1886. Obv. though I may have missed someone out.

Any ideas on where to try and take things from here would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks
    Claire
    xxx

Are there any family Wills that you can get at to narrow down your info a bit more?

Is there any identifiable mention in (e.g.) Times online?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

Thanks for replying. I have a meeting with my mum's cousin in a couple of weeks and am hoping she may come through with something- she was born in the 1940s so am hoping that this was something that was still being mulled over during her childhood.

I only know a very small amount. My grandad and his siblings had all passed on before I was 10 so I don't have anyone to ask other than the cousin mentioned above. My Grandad did tell my Mum that the family bible was burnt over this partic. person as he was gay- hence why he ended up in the US-to escape the prejudice of this family I suppose.

I don't have any access to any wills as yet. I do know how to retrieve UK copies, but would be stuck if I needed to obtain a copy from the US.

I just thought that the judgment of the case might give me a real feel for my grt grt gran and what she was like. The while issue is very confused about what the actual outcome was- with some thinking that they found that they were the right family.

Sorry to be so jumbled on this- it was only in passing on the telephone yesterday that I knew anything of it.

Claire
      xxx

Comment

Will pop on Times Online now- only other thing that I have checked is some of the US records on Ancestry and found an Ebenezer Davis registered in Los Angeles in 1924. Prob. a bit of a longshot though!

Claire
        xxx

Comment

I tried googling for fruit growers in the 1930's in California but no luck

You could perhaps contact

California Historical Society | About CHS

and see if they have a list of fruit growers in 1930's.

VitalSearch-California(USA):California Death Records and Certificates - not sure if this is a pay site.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hey JBee,

Thanks ever so much for finding the society- I really appreciate it. Certainly can not hurt to get in touch with them and see what records they have. The property was passed onto Mr Davies from the previous owner (am depending on a will here!) as family myth has it that they were lovers. Again, this should make things easier as his name should be on all the documentation.

One heck of a puzzle though! ;)

Claire
            xxx

Comment

Here's a link for a free search of USA 1930 census

1930 Census :: FREE 1790-1930 Census Resources for Genealogy & Family History

Just put Davies and no christian name and CA for California and see what comes up.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks Jbee!!!

Wish I had searched a bit more now before signing up for the US Ancestry now!

Claire
                xxx

Comment

Working...
                X