Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Help

Hi,
    I've been trying to find the birth of my aunt Lily May Cook she was born 4 Dec 1915 Badbury Wick nr Chisledon Wiltshire and died 29 May 1999 in either Marlborough or Swindon. Her married name was Middleton. I've searched Ancestry & Free BMD but can't find her, I've tried years either side without success. I'm trying find her mother.I know her name was Cook as that is no her children's births. At the moment I can't find her children. Can anyone help, Please.

Have you got her marriage certificate? That will tell you her father's name and occupation.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Its not under Dec 1915 or Jan 1916 if she was Lily May.
      Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Good thinking that, Wendy. You jogged my memory that many moons ago another cousin sent me her marriage details.I've just dug out the email and her fathers name was Alfred Joseph Cook, he was deceased in 1935. So I'll check him out. I shall have to sit down one day and read all of the paperwork I have amassed over the years and fill in the tree properly.

Comment

What are the names of her siblings

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
            Its not under Dec 1915 or Jan 1916 if she was Lily May.
            I looked too Pippa, wonder could she have been Lillian?

]

Comment

My personal experience was that I had ordered my ancestors birth cert for Polly Foster and the mother was listed as Ann Daft. I couldn't find a marriage for Foster/Daft however I then ordered 2 more birth certs for Polly's siblings and the final one said Ann Daft formerly Screaton. Ann was illegitimate and had been using the name Daft all her life except the day that she got married under Ann Screaton. It was lovely though that George Daft her step-father was one of the wintesses and her mother was listed in the space for father as Charlotte Daft.
              Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Here's her death:

Lily May Middleton / 4 Dec 1915 / Jun 1999 / 83 / Swindon / Wiltshire

Comment

Might be worth investigating this birth, as it's the same area:

Births Mar 1910
                  WALTERS / Lily May / Swindon / 5a 25

Comment

This is the only marriage for an Alfred Joseph Cook in Wiltshire at roughly the right time:

Marriages Dec 1894
                    Cook Alfred Joseph Highworth 5a 3
                    Hawkins Mary Highworth 5a 3
                    Leach Mary Jane Highworth 5a 3
                    Richardson Ernest James Highworth 5a 3

Swindon was in Highworth registration district.

Comment

This fits nicely with the marriage, but assumes that whoever registered the death got her age very wrong:

Births Mar 1903
                      Cook Lilian May Swindon 5a 36

Comment

There are several other possibilities, including these:

Births Sep 1908
                        Cook Lilian Mary / Calne / 5a 89

Births Dec 1908
                        Cook Lily / Swindon / 5a 33

Births Sep 1912
                        Cook Lilian M / Pearce / Swindon / 5a 65

Comment

What was her age on her marriage cert, and who were the witnesses? What was her father's occupation?

Comment

I've just looked at a photo of her gravestone and it says Lily May Middleton passed away 29 May 1999 aged 83. I've just sent a message to someone on Ancestry with Alfred Joseph Cook in his tree.
                            Jim

Comment

I haven't got the marriage certificate, just the details another cousin sent me.I've just had another look at the email he sent. He says that he was with Aunty May and she showed him her birth & marriage certificate.The birth cert stated she was born 4 December 1915 in Chisledon Road Badbury Wick, she was registered 22 January 1916 by Beatrice Judd.He gives no other details except Alfred Joseph Cook was a coachman on marriage certificate.I can't contact this cousin because he no longer contactable!. I may have found May's daughter in Swindon, there are two possibles and I may pluck up courage and ring her tomorrow.I haven't seen or spoken to her for years.

Comment

There's a Lily M C Judd in Swindon MMN Judd Q/E March 1916 Vol 5a Page 23.
                                Perhaps the C stands for Cook.

Jackie
                                Jackie

Comment

There's a Beatrice Rose Judd Sep 1893 born Faringdon, Wiltshire which could be mother.
                                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

No sign of a Judd-Cook marriage (except one for a male Judd and a female Cook).

Comment

Lily May Cook

Just had a phone call from my cousin, Lily May's daughter. First time we have spoken in over 40 years!. Anyway I went straight for the kill about her mothers parents. Her grandfather was Alfred (as we know) and her grandmother was Beatrice Cook nee Judd. So Alfred & Beatrice were not married at the time of her birth, so the Lily M C Judd registered in 1916 was her. As you said Night Owl the C is more than likely Cook. Anyway I'm off to see my cousin next Tuesday to have a natter about our family, which is good . At least I'm in contact with another of my well spread out family.

Comment

Working...
                                      X