Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching London area.

Any ideas on where to start here?

My 4x great grandparents were convicts who married in Australia. I have all the Australian info.

All I have before then is:

Mark Turner.....
    "Committed the 15th Sept 1787, by William Mason, in the parish of St Mary, Newington." He was a labourer in the parish.
    I can't find him in the Old Bailey records.

Carolina Elizabeth Laycock/Haylock.......(name changes every so often)
    She was sentenced at Middlesex Guildhall 30th March 1785, aged 20. She spent two years in Newgate Prison, then was transported 1788.

I did find a baptism on FreeReg for a Carolina Haylock 2nd Feb 1765, St James Picadilly, Westminster, Middlesex. Parents Howard and Elizabeth Haylock.
    That fits with the age and second name Elizabeth. However, can't find any siblings or parents' marriage.

how detailed is your info? i assume they died before 1850, so i dont think our death certs were that detailed.

roughly, when and were was mark born?

Comment

Libby,

The LMA hold the registers for SOUTHWARK, under which Newington falls.

London Generations

I used the London Generations search facility:

London Generations

Scroll down the page to see the terms I put in the search box - EDIT - It's not showing. I put LONDON BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK in the top box and search phrase NEWINGTON and narrowed the dates between 1750 and 1790.

I went to the LMA with my daughter last week, so it's a shame it's not this week!

You might be able to find William Mason's baptism in the registers, that is assuming he was baptised in Newington.

Do you have an idea of his year of birth?
      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 04-09-08, 11:38.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

No idea where Mark was born. He died in 1802 in Sydney. As you can imagine his death cert is very sparse. I know he was buried in the Sydney Burial Ground which is under the Old Sydney Town Hall. He was born about 1760 according to his convict records.

Carolina died in 1830. No parents on her death cert either. I have her age from records here.

Comment

i found this on familysearch. dont know if this helps

MARK TURNER Pedigree
          Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Event(s):
          Birth:
          Christening: 08 JAN 1753 Wandsworth, London, England

Death:
          Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Parents:
          Father: MARK TURNER Family
          Mother: ELIZABETH

Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
          Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

P019011 1603 - 1787 0599302 IT 1 Film 0820683 Film

Sheet: 00

Comment

Elizabeth....William Mason was the judge in the case. Sorry, i didn't word the question well.

Thanks for those links. I'll have a look.

Comment

what does a death cert from that era tell you?

Comment

Sorry, Libby, my mistake - I knew who the correct one was, but I copied the wrong name!

When I go back to the LMA I'd be happy to look at the Newington birth registers for you.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thank you Elizabeth...

In a book about the family, it has Mark parents as possibly Simon and Joanna Turner.
                  They apparently had a son, Mark, baptised 16th January 1760, St Andrews Church, Enfield, although some records give his birthplace as Surrey.

Not sure what the difference is.

KyleJustin.......the death cert has very little info.
                  Mark Turner age 42. Date of death 28th Feb 1802. Wife's anme and children's names, and where he was buried. No cause of death.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                    They apparently had a son, Mark, baptised 16th January 1760, St Andrews Church, Enfield, although some records give his birthplace as Surrey.

Not sure what the difference is.
                    About ten miles (or more!). Enfield is about 10 miles north of central London. Where the Enfield rifle was made at a government arms factory.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ....Was it where the motorbike was made as well???

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                        UJ....Was it where the motorbike was made as well???
                        I believe so. Here's a Wikipedia snippet.

Royal Enfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

These are all extrancted IGI baps:

1. ELIZABETH RACHEL <HAYLOCK>
                          Gender: Female Christening: 06 SEP 1761 St James, Westminster, London

2. Carolina <Haylock>
                          Gender: Female Christening: 02 FEB 1766 St James, Westminster, London

3. SARAH HAYLOCK
                          Gender: Female Christening: 01 JUL 1759 Saint Martin In The Fields, Westminster, London

4. WILLIAM HOWARD <HAYLOCK>
                          Gender: Male Christening: 16 OCT 1763 St James', Westminster, London

I notice the year is one different for Carolina.

Comment

St Andrews Church is still there, has a small market outside the church

Comment

Not a very good picture of St Andrews in the far right, passed the market.

Comment

That brought back memories for me James.
                                I used to run a market stall there.

Researching:
                                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thank you..

I will claim her as mine (in pencil) for the time being. I notice she wasn't given Elizabeth as a second name, but she did use it here, so maybe a mark for claiming her.????

Thank you James for the picture.

Comment

when i was looking on family search, i remembered something.
                                    here it is !!!

the enfield birth of mark turner. the one your book has.

MARK TURNER Male

Event(s):
                                    Birth:
                                    Christening: 16 JAN 1760 Saint Andrew, Enfield, London, England

Parents:
                                    Father: SIMON TURNER Mother: JOANNA

Comment

Thank you...............

This is all coming together nicely...... I wish I could prove it, but just checked that one and there is a sister, Hannah. He did mention a sister, Hannah in one of the records.

This family is odd because there is so much written about them, being first and second fleeters,whose daughter married Robert Batman, brother of John and Henry. I've found afew gems in history books, but also some fiction.

Comment

glad we've been helpful.

but dont, forget, specially for caroline, that familysearch doesn't have all the parish records.

but, duhh!! you robably knew that already, and i probably sound like an annoying upstart right now!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X