Help?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help?!

Is it possible to find out if someone was divorced between 1900 and 1910?

Yes!

Go to the National Archives website:

The National Archives of the United Kingdom

Choose search the archives, and Catalogue

Put the surname as a search term and J 77 in the bottom box and that should throw up the case. The actual documents are available to search at Kew.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Wow - I didn't know you could do that!
      I just entered the surname of my GGrandfather who I know left my GGrandmother. His name didn't come up, but his brother did!
      Thanks Phoenix :D
      Tracy

Comment

Oh, Phoenix!

I should be working, but this has totally distracted me! I didn't know you could search like ths.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Fascinating stuff. Looked for my naughty Villiers on the off-chance but no sign.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

This is great, I didn't realise it was possible to find out about divorces! Thanks Phoenix.

Comment

If you do find a match in there, just bear in mind that it also includes divorces which didn't actually go through, so you would need to get a copy of the papers themselves to see what happened.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
              X