X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London records to go on-line

The following is on our local news (London area) this morning:

BBC NEWS | England | London | Historical records to go online

It looks as if Ancestry is getting them!

We have to wait until 2009, though.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Oh...I hope they'll add them to the Aussie site for a while. Sometimes they do that with new ones. I just found a possible baptism for my 4x great grandmother last night, but I have no idea on London searching.

Comment

Libby, if you want any help just yell, because I (and several others) go to the LMA a couple of times a year.

The LMA already have an on-line search facility too!

It is worth using, as I found marriage bonds for my White family who lived in Guildford Surrey (not in London) back in 1724!!
      Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 04-09-08, 07:34.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thank you, Elizabeth.

This is my first adventure into London/Middlesex/Surrey. I don't really have much to go on and no idea where to start, as it was all before registration or census.

The people are my 4 x great grandparents who were sent out here as convicts in 1788 and 1789. I think I've found my 4 x great grandmother's baptism in St James 1765, but can't find any other family. Her husband (they married here) was a labourer in St Mary Newington when convicted. Not a lot of info. lol.

Comment

Libby, Have you searched the Old Bailey site, which has details of the court cases and transcriptions of the proceedings?

Old Bailey Online - The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913 - Central Criminal Court

If you want to post the names (perhaps on a different thread?) we could have a look for you.

We could look for baptisms/marriages too, especially if I go back to the LMA soon.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

One of the family history magazines had a piece recently about the changes at the LMA and how now there are lots of computer terminals which are hardly ever used, and the microfiche / microfilm readers are all squeezed into a little corner. I suppose those computers will have access to all this stuff via ancestry? Anyway, I can't wait to look at those records - there should be loads of mine in there!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I was at the LMA last week. It wasn't too busy to start with, but half-way through the morning every microfilm reader was occupied, and there appeared to be large parts of the room which weren't busy at all. It was very easy to bump into people in the busy part of the room where we were, but virtually empty elsewhere!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Last visit, I found all the microfilm readers crammed into a dark corner, with not much room for notes - as a left-handed person I found it awkward to have them on the right hand side of the reader.

The big binders that you use to look up the relevant microfilm numbers are heavy and there's only a couple of tiny tables to use to rest them, which is bad for your back. I think they should have nabbed some of the lecturn-style stands they had at the FRC.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell, I agree. I am left-handed too, and found the set-up difficult.

Also, there was just one small table one side to rest books on to look for the appropriate volume number. However, the other side (closer to the microfilm readers) there was no table, so as my reader was very close, I took the book there to look at it.

There was a real bottleneck in this area of the Archives, but some areas were completely underused.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Well I am interested in baptisms & burials in Westminster so am keeping my fingers crossed
                    Lynn

Comment

Does the LMA cover Westminster?
                      KiteRunner

Comment

I am not really sure, but I am also interested in Battersea & Clapham
                        Lynn

Comment

you can always email the city of westminster and ask them if they have what you're after. i did, and in a week or so, i'll be getting christenings for an entire family!!

Comment

Ooooh....Was that the Westminster City Council website??? Or is there another records office.

Comment

the City of Westminsters records are at Westminster Archives and not the LMA, bit like the City of London bits being at the Guildhall.

The Westminster Archives are lovely and so are their staff so well worth a visit. They are also open every Sat so it makes it easier for those who cant get into London during the week.

City of Westminster Archives Centre

Comment

Oh ****, it doesn't look like it will help me with my Stowell family then :(
                                I have contacted the Westminster Archives before & they had a look at a few records for me without any joy, but I am sure there are other parihes to search in the area & was hoping that I could do this if they came online. Sadly I am too far away from London to get down & do a search in person.
                                Lynn

Comment

LMA records on line

Saw an interesting piece tucked away at the end of an article in todays Mail on Sunday p48 about Charlie Chaplin being in a workhouse saying that early next year 77 million records from the LMA will be uploaded onto Ancestry.
                                  Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

We have a thread about this somewhere, Bo - I'll see if I can merge this one into it...
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Libby,

slightly off topic here, but if your grandparents were sent to Tas did you know that Tasmanian Archives have made the original images for convict indents and conduct records available to view online? They're downloadable as well, but you really need at least A3 to read the printed version as the writing is mostly atrocious. :p

Tasmanian Convicts

Comment

Thanks Rebs.......mine all came to NSW....1788, 1789 and 1794.

John and Henry Batman (sons of convict William) then went on to Tassie.

My sister-in-law is trying to track Tassie convicts though, so will have a look.

Comment

Working...
                                        X