Date for these two please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date for these two please?

Any ideas of the date for these photos? They are scans so I'm afraid there is nothing on the back, but I seem to remember when I scanned them it was the postcard format with the line down the middle.

They are obviously taken in the same studio because the background and the chair are the same, but was it at the same time?

The gentleman in the first photo was born in 1896, and the woman in the second photo was born in 1889. I have no idea who the young child is - it isn't my grandad as he wasn't born until 1928 and his Dad looked a lot older by then.

Hope someone can help! Thanks.

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

early 1920,s the suit lapels .but them i sem to be getting it wrong,brenda xxx

Comment

I'll have to double check when I have a moment but I think somewhere about ww1, lovely photos, you can really see the work on the pretty ladies blouse and the little one, a boy? is gorgeous..

Comment

he is in the army as he has a trumpet on his sleeve and one stripe brenda xxx

Comment

I'm not 100% certain about this, but I think he's a naval rating with a good conduct badge. He might be a leading seaman?

Comment

I was thinking just before or during WW1, when younger ladies had shorter sleeves that showed their forearms. Please don't tell us the young man died in the war, he's barely a grownup.

Comment

would agree with Barbara not only on the time period but also that he was a Leading Seaman with a Good Conduct Stripe showing under the killick.

don

Comment

Thank you everyone, he was in the navy (although we don't know any real details) so that all adds up. He didn't die in the war (thank goodness because otherwise I wouldn't be here today!)

:D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                  I have no idea who the young child is - it isn't my grandad as he wasn't born until 1928 and his Dad looked a lot older by then.
                  Is it possible your grandfather had an older sibling you didn't know about - maybe one who died young? May be worth checking from 1914 onward. The child definitely has similar facial features to the two adults. I think it's likely both pictures were taken in the same session. The adults are sitting in the same chair but the woman has a thick cushion. Her low table matches the high table that the child is sitting on. I would date the photographs as 1919, making the woman 30, the man 23 and the child about 4.
                  Last edited by Paul Barton, Special Agent; 13-09-08, 17:17.
                  Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

I have a photo of my uncle (born in 1922) which is almost identical to the small boy. Style of clothes, hair and all. I guess that might make it about 1923/4??

Anne

Comment

Working...
                    X