census records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• census records

how do i go about checking for people at an address around the 19210/1920 era in leeds,yorkshire.

Welcome to Family Tree Forum

The censuses are closed for 100 years so you have a long wait until the 1921 census is released in 2022! Other than thet there are electoral rolls, but they will only tell you the names of people eligible to vote. You might get lucky with trade or post office directories, but again you are not going to get information about full families.

Maybe we can help in some way? What are you trying to find out? (PLease don't post up any information about anyone who is still living though )

Comment

i am trying to find information on my gt grandparents who married in leeds in 1921. john william bailey aged 22- sarah ellen jackson aged 21. fathers john william bailey -deceased bricklayers labourer & john jackson- miner. i do not know where they were born so am not sure about census records.bit of a brick wall

Comment

Well, there is this birth reg:

Births Sep 1899
        Bailey John William Leeds 9b 442

which fits with this 1901 census record (I've typed it out in full in case you don't have access to Ancestry):

4 Line (?) Place, Leeds, Yorks

John Wm Bailey head married 25 Bricklayer's labourer b Yorks Halifax
        Winifred Bailey wife married 22 b Leeds
        Mary E Bailey dau 5 b Leeds
        John Wm Bailey son 1 b Leeds

Looking hopeful?!!
        Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 03-09-08, 21:08.

Comment

Sarah Ellen Jackson might be tricky. Who were the marriage witnesses?

Comment

Do you know when John William and Sarah Ellen died?

Did either or both of them died after 1969?

Comment

This is probably the most likely for Sarah Ellen:

This birth:

Births Dec 1900
              Jackson Sarah Ellen Wigan 8c 471 (Wigan district covers Ashton in Makerfield)

EDIT the page number possibly should read 171 not 471

with this 1901 census record:

63 North St, Ashton in Makerfield, Lancs

John Jackson head married 38 Coal Hewer b Pemberton Lancs
              Elizabeth Jackson wife married 35 b ditto
              Eva Jackson dau 13 Cotton Spinner b Hindley Lancs
              Thomas Jackson son 11 b ditto
              William Jackson son 9 b ditto
              Mary Jackson dau 6 b ditto
              Annie Jackson dau 3 b ditto
              Sarah Ellen Jackson dau 5mths b Ashton in Makerfield, Lancs
              Mary Marthen (sp ??) mother-in-law 64 b Ashton in Makerfield, Lancs
              Two boarders......
              Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 03-09-08, 21:30.

Comment

If you know the answer to post #6 then we might be able to work out if the above is correct

Comment

hi. i don't know when they died. on the the marriage certificate the witness's are peter a gouth & rebecca butler. where did you find the birth details on ancestry as i have this. i am only just getting used to various other parts of ancestry that i did not know about till one of the members of genes reunited site helped me and also told me about this site which was very good of her

Comment

Originally posted by ken-leedsloiner View Post
                    hi. i don't know when they died. on the the marriage certificate the witness's are peter a gouth & rebecca butler. where did you find the birth details on ancestry as i have this. i am only just getting used to various other parts of ancestry that i did not know about till one of the members of genes reunited site helped me and also told me about this site which was very good of her

That would be Heather PT.

Doubtless she is around somewhere, lurking as usual :D
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

you are right. it was heather,lovely lady: ken:D

Comment

Originally posted by ken-leedsloiner View Post
                        I didn't find the bith details on Ancestry, though I could have done (I used FreeBMD FreeBMD - Search), but on Ancestry the transcribed records are called

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983

though they are not complete for the whole of the time frame!

If you don't know when they died, do you have any way of limiting the time frame? Do you know when their last child was born? Do you have the marriage cert for any of their children and if you do does it say if the father of the bride/groom was dec'd? Is there anyone you can ask? Do you know where they may have died?

You don't want to find yourself doing the wrong tree (esp if it's going to be my fault!!) so it is really important that you try to find out what happened to this couple. If they died after 1969 then their date of birth should appear in the death indexes and their place/es of birth on their death certificates.

I presume those witnesses don't mean anything to you?
                        Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 04-09-08, 07:52.

Comment

No luck with the name Peter A Gouth at all. Could the spelling of Gouth be slightly out?

Comment

Another bit of circumstantial evidence that I could have found the correct Bailey family........

You said that on the 1921 marriage cert the father of the groom, also John Wm Bailey, was dec'd. The man I found in 1901 was aged 25, so he would have to have died fairly young to fit what's been found already. Although the name isn't uncommon that does reduce the numbers significantly.......

In fact, it reduces the numbers to only one, which fits exactly for age:

Deaths Jun 1902
                            Bailey John William aged 26 Leeds 9b 282

Do the surnames Leathley or (more likely) Merrick mean anything to you, by any chance?
                            Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 04-09-08, 08:16.

Comment

I found a birth for a

Sarah E Jackson

on the UKBMD site:

JACKSON Sarah E 1901 Chapeltown Leeds Yorkshire CHAP/38/187

(the ref. is the order ref. if you use their site)
                              However, it might not be the correct one, but it is worth looking at.

Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths

It's quite a useful site, and I use the Lancashire one a lot.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hi there Ken, glad you finally managed to get in - and I see the lovely and very clever Merry is doing a great job on your family

Glen, I dont "lurk" fighting0072.gif

Comment

I bet this is your witness:

Births Dec 1898
                                  Gough Peter Andrew Leeds 9b 477

He married in Leeds too:

Marriages Dec 1921
                                  Gough Peter A Leeds 9b 926
                                  Morris Norah Leeds 9b 926

I don't suppose this helps, but you never know when something suddenly clicks into place! lol

Comment

hi merry & everybody else. i do not know much about the bailey side of the family as i never knew my father. my mother married my father ? in 1941.thomas bailey aged 21 born leeds. my mothers name was winifred derry aged 20 born pontefract/featherstone ,yorkshire-deceased. on their wedding certificate one of the witness's is a agnes bailey,possibly sister ? my mother left my father before i was born in1945 ( nearly a pensioner ) .I will not be around for the next few days,date with a surgeon but will try to check all the helpful info given so far and will keep you all updated on anything i find. nb: merry there is a possible connection on the merrick name in my mothers maternal family-derrys from staffordshire.

Comment

I hope you get on alright with the surgeon.......

For when you return.......

On your parents marriage cert what does it say about the father of the groom, who I presume was John Wm Bailey who married in 1921?

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                                        I found a birth for a

Sarah E Jackson

on the UKBMD site:
                                        I think that one is Sarah Elsie rather than Sarah Ellen (though of course nothing is even 100% excluded! lol):

Births Sep 1901
                                        JACKSON Sarah Elsie Leeds 9b 562

Comment

Working...
                                        X