Duty not paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty not paid?

Going through some church records I came upon these burial entries. Apart from it being a sad thing what does it mean about 'Duty not paid'

[I]Duty not paid, Henry son of a parish pensioner,Mary Horner, Nov 12
    Duty not paid, Jonathon so of parish pensioner, Mary Horner, Nov 16
    Duty not paid, John son of parish pensioner, Mary Horner , Nov 22I]
    Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

There was a burial tax payable at one time, also a baptism tax.

The poor were exempt, and I remember one parish where the Vicar, furious at being used as an unpaid tax collector, marked every burial "pauper" including the lord of the manor, lol.

OC

Comment

OCH, was the tax paid to the church as a form of wage for the grave digger, Vicer's wage or just a payment into the churches coffers.
      Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Comment

No, it was paid to the Crown. Yet another crafty tax, but it didn't last long, only a few years.

A variation on this theme, was fines for not baptising children, again paid to the Crown, and again, only lasted a few years.

OC

Comment

a stealth tax!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, a stealth tax alright, and even the Church hated it, much as they wanted everyone to be baptised and/or decently buried.

There have been all kinds of stealth taxes down the centuries, some fairer than others.

Powdered wigs attracted a tax - the original Poll Tax (Poll as in head). Salt also attracted tax, very unfair as it was an essential preservative for food for poorer people.

Hearth Tax was perhaps a bit fairer - my illustrious ancestor paid for eleven hearths!

OC

Comment

Wasn't there some sort of a tax paid on either wool, cotton or linen - not sure which - that had to be used to wrap a dead body in before burial? I seem to remember hearing about that at some stage?

Comment

It was a rule about woollen shrouds. The wool industry was going through a bad patch (because of the importing of linen) and people were ordered to use woollen shrouds. I'm not sure about tax but I have found burial records with notes that a woollen shroud was used. Apparently there was a fine of £5 if any other material was used for a burial and poor people were buried naked.

Comment

Working...
                X