Hello and new ect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and new ect

Howdy all. Am new here. Am brand spanking new to all this and am about to research into my maternal grandfather's side of the family, the Gardiners. I have a great uncle who remembers a lot so I'm lucky I've had a head start and got back to 1856 already which is when my great great grandfather was born. I found him on a 1901 cencus and have found info on what I believe is his marraige certificate so am thinking that'll be my first move...to order a copy of that then get his birth cert ater that? Ayways it's nice to meet you all and I look forward to sharing experiences with you.

Hi,
    You could look for his birth certificate details now if his place of birth is given on the census without waiting for the marriage cert. In fact that will not really help with his birth details except if you need his father's name for reference checking.
    You can look up his birth on FreeBMD.
    Margaret

Comment

Welcome BendyCowgirl, Happy hunting x

Comment

Welcome to FTF, BendyCowgirl (the mind boggles!!).

I suppose there's the usual warning - start from you and work back one step at a time to make sure you don't "adopt" the wrong family on the way back. It's so easy to make a mistake.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hello BendyCowgirl welcome to FTF you will find us all friendly and helpful so dont be afraid to ask if you have any questions , enjoy the site dear
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Welcome BendyCowgirl, hope you enjoy having a look around, good luck with your research.

Comment

Hello and welcome BendyCowgirl. You'll find lots of friendly people here with lots of good advice.

Enjoy!
              Gillian
              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Hi There

Welcome to the Forum, you will find loads of really helpful people here, any questions ask away.
                Vikki -
                Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Hi Bendy and welcome to FTF,

It's always helpful when a relative provides info for you.

Does your great uncle, or other family member, have any items such as certificates, photographs etc to help confirm your family back to your gggrandfather?

It is good practice to check each part of your tree as you go back, just to make sure it is all correct.

Then, get the marriage certifcate for your gg grandfather. Even with really uncommon names, there may be several candidates and by missing out one step, you can go badly wrong.

Enjoy the hunt!
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hello Bendy, good luck with your search. From what I can see some very sharp minds on here who are more than happy to help.
                    I have not asked anyone about ironing just yet... working up to that >>>>ducks
                    John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

I'm afraid that's outside the field of expertise of most people on here, John. :(:(

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                        Welcome to FTF, BendyCowgirl (the mind boggles!!).

I suppose there's the usual warning - start from you and work back one step at a time to make sure you don't "adopt" the wrong family on the way back. It's so easy to make a mistake.
                        Lol UJ.... but very good advice :D

Hi and welcome BendyCowgirl.. Its nice to have you here..

]

Comment

I'm sorry...ironing? Interesting place lol. BTW my nam is because I am hypermobile (double jointed) and can bend like a pretzel.

Anyways...moving on *clears throat* thanks for the welcome and I don't have any other info on my g g grandaddy apart from his name, his rough year of birth, when he got married and where ect. I rang the register office in Chelsea, London where he was born and they could only find a William Henry Gardiner not a Wiliam John Gardiner or a John Wiliam Gardiner...whichever he was. My uncle knew him as William but from what weve recently descovered we think he was John Wiliam as that is how it is listed in the census and the marr cert. reference. I guess his DOB at 1856 as on the 1901 census he is listed as being 45. Besides it's common in my family to be known by your middle name. Therefore ot sure I can trace his birth cirt without his father's name which would be on the marr cert? Unless you guys have any other ideas? Cheers guys x

Comment

HI Bendy, and welcome to the forum.

As everyone has advised it is pretty easy to go slightly awry in your research if you just follow the census.

It's good practice to go back one step at a time and get certificates to confirm what you already know. Even if your uncle's memory for things is great you never know if he may have been told a lie along the way to hide something or someone remembered wrongly and what your uncle thinks is the truth is slightly off.

The other thing to be careful with a name like Gardiner is common variations like Gardener, Gardner - the further you go back the less common it was for people to be able to read and write so may not have been able to correct officials if they got it wrong.

If you fancy posting up what you've found already I'm sure the eagle eyes on here can help verify what you've found or uncover other possibilities that may be worth exploring.

Zoe
                            Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Yes, I would definitely say get his marriage certificate first to see his father's details before trying to work back to his birth.
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by John_8251 View Post
                                Hello Bendy, good luck with your search. From what I can see some very sharp minds on here who are more than happy to help.
                                I have not asked anyone about ironing just yet... working up to that >>>>ducks
                                I think that John should be banned for saying such naughty things. ;)

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                I'm afraid that's outside the field of expertise of most people on here, John.
                                Mary's quite right. We could be quite talented in that area if we chose but we all have far better things to do.

Welcome Bendy. This is a fantastic place. Word of warning - it can be quite addictive.
                                Kit

Comment

OK marraige cert is is then. I don't think I need to confirm everything else though as I know whre and when everyvody else was born as my uncle is still alive to tell me about it. If you do fancy digging up anything though my gg grandfather as I say is John William Gardiner, married Lvinia Fanny (Frances) Snow who was Canadian, had two children Jospeh and Fred, Jospeh married a girl called Mary, had umpteen kids, Fred Married Sarah...my granfather is one of Joseph's kids and my clue hunting uncle is my grandfather's brother. William was from London originally but moved to Canton, Cardiff, died approx 1941. Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Working...
                                  X