Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i find him?

hi,

as most of you know i'm not having much luck getting info out of the living. well my "nan" said something yesterday thta i picked up - she asked me how much gap there is between my 2 boys - which i replied 2yrs 9months and she said "thats almost the same as your mum and uncle........, there is 2yrs and 10months between them."

now i cant find his birth as i dont know his surname at birth (it was changed when he got a new step father) nor do i know where he was born. going on this "date" above, my mum was born in april 1949, so i worked out that uncle would have been born in july 1946 (please correct me if my maths is wrong).

do i hunt through the ancestry full list for this quarter looking for matching 1st names? or is there an easier way?
    Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 03-09-08, 10:51.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

How about previous marriage of the parents?

Comment

Would it be easier to work out what his surname was before the 'step father'?
      You should be able to find a marriage between him and your nan. This would tell you her name when she married, which, in thoery, should be the same name as your uncle.
      Tracy

Comment

she wasnt married when she had him, but he's not listed under her maiden name. this is the problem i have. the step father came onto the sceene in 1953. and names were changed. "nan" didnt marry the step father, her and children just took his name.

Comment

Sorry Amy, confused here! (as usual!!)

So your mum was born in 1949 and you believe he was born in 1946.
          Do they both have the same parents - if so he will have the same name as your mother's maiden name.
          If he was born before your nan married, then he should have your nan's maiden name.

If you cannot find him with either of these names in the complete index then either he wasn't registered or your nan is giving you duff information.
          Elaine

Comment

Perhaps you could ask, instead of 'what was his name?', when exactly he was born. I Presume you've tried the 'what was his name' already with no success.

Have you tried FreeBMD and FreeReg for searching on his name? It's unlikely, but it is possible he might be on one of them.
            Tracy

Comment

i know he didnt have the same father as my mum (mum told me that). and he IS older than mum - he said at her funeral he couldnt believe he was saying goodbye to his little sister.

"nan" has never married. she has 3 kids by 3 different men. the last child is from mum and uncles step father from 1953.

my mum was registered under her fathers name - even though he and "nan" were not married.

i have tried "nans" maiden name and my mums dads name from 1940 through to 1950 with no luck.

as i have said b4 the living family wont tell me anything. i may be on a wild goose chase for the date i really dont know. i just worked backwards 2yrs and 10months from mums DOB.

Comment

no i havent tried them as i thought they were pre 1937. its a real pain.

Comment

FreeReg is transcribed (in places) up to the present day. Of course, it depends where he was born, but it's always worth a look

I have to say, I don't envy your task. Seems like looking for a needle in a haystack :o
                  Tracy

Comment

Amy

I can't think of a way but a couple of things occured to me. If your Mum was born in April, your uncle could have been born in June and so could be a different quarter - perhaps someone else could look at the maths because I'm doubting myself

I had a quick look at how difficult it would be to trawl on Ancestry. The surnames beginning with S for example in the Sept ending quarter runs to 131 pages but even if you found someone with the right first name, how would you know if it was your Uncle unless he's got a really unusual first name? (Sorry I don't want to sound negative)

Was you Uncle the middle child? If so have you checked under the surname of the first child? (I suspect you probably have)

Jackie
                    Jackie

Comment

i have to say, I don't envy your task. Seems like looking for a needle in a haystack
                      it is. its easier to find the dead and info on them than it is the living. "nan" told me back in 2004 that i wasnt allowed to trace the family tree. no-1 tells me what i can/cant do. and this made me more determined to do it as there are skeletons hiding, i've found a few out already.

dont worry about being negative, i just thought i would try and work from the "info" she gave me yesterday about 2yrs 10months etc. he was the eldest of the 3 children. his fisrt name is quite common, but i was working on matching the MMN. i think i'm onto a loosing battle at the moment.
                      Last edited by yummy-mummy-amy; 03-09-08, 11:26.

Comment

would he have had to declare his "birth name" when he got married? or could he have just used the name he had used since 1953? if so it owuld be on his marriage cert.

i've not found his marriage yet (not looked) but i do know his wifes name and that it happended in wales.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing myself. It would certainly be worth having a look, as long as you know when-ish lol

I think, unless it was changed legally, he would have to use his birth name. I may be wrong though.
                          Tracy

Comment

well found a wedding that matches brides name and the groom is listed as uncles 1st name and "step fathers" surname. i'm going to have to get the cert and hope that it sheds some light on his birth name.

thanks for help and suggestions.

Comment

Hopefully, it will have a 'aka' name for him.

Fingers crossed x
                              Tracy

Comment

have you thought about asking your nan?

you said she didin;t like you researching, but maybe you can get something out of her?

Comment

yes i have tried speaking to her and she wont tell me anything. she has also told the living aunts/uncles that they are not to tell me anything.

which is why when she says lilttle things like the year gap thing i try and find it.

Comment

Amy - is any of your uncles and aunts willing to tell you anything or are they all under their mum's thumb?
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

So, do you know this Uncle? Can you not ask someone when his birthday is? on the pretext of sending a birthday card or something? Presumably the existance of this Uncle isnt a great revelation to you - or is it?
                                      Jess

Comment

no i know the uncle, we only ever see him at funerals and on the odd vist at xmas if he comes this way. i dont know if i asked when his birthday is (for a card etc) if i would be classed as suspicious as i havnt ever sent him a card.

i did ask the living sister when her birthday was and got shot down in flames by her. so i guess he would be the same.

Comment

Working...
                                        X