Don't understand a message i have got

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't understand a message i have got

Not sure if this is the right place but i'm sure it will be moved if it isn't!!

I have got a message from someone about a relative of mine and it said:

Is your lady the same one who was a missionary in China

Erm well i can't answer because i can't find what one is. Can anyone shed any light on it for me please.

Thank you.
    Jen

Was the message received through FTF - or another site?
    Elaine

Comment

It was through another site.
      Jen

Comment

A lot of people get so excited about finding a possible match with their tree that they leave out the vital bit, the name. I've just found a chunk of OH's family in a OneWorld Tree on Ancestry. Mostly accurate, some of it more detailed than what I had, but the owner chose to be anonymous.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Jennie

As far as I know a missionary was usally someone who went aborad to spread the christian doctrine, and convert the "natives" to christianity.

The most famous missionary to China that I know of was Gladys Aylward. (google her name) She was sent out into the villages to persaude the chinese ladies to stop binding their feet!! There was a film made about her (can't remember what it was called though:o)
          Barbara

Comment

Thank you Barbara and Uncle John. Will go and look her up and see what i can find do you know if there is a list of them or if there were a lot of them that went and did this. I have never heard of it before.
            Last edited by jennie; 02-09-08, 19:32.
            Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
              Hi Jennie

As far as I know a missionary was usally someone who went aborad to spread the christian doctrine, and convert the "natives" to christianity.

The most famous missionary to China that I know of was Gladys Aylward. (google her name) She was sent out into the villages to persaude the chinese ladies to stop binding their feet!! There was a film made about her (can't remember what it was called though:o)
              It was The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness. a wonderful film and a real weepy at times.
              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

There was a book about Gladys Aylward's life "The Small Woman" by Alan Burgess and I vaguely remember they did a "This Is Your Life" programme on her, back in the days when it wasn't always about show biz celebrities.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I have a Church of Scotland minister who went to Australia with his new wife to save souls in the gold rush era. They had 2 children there and then he caught something nasty and died. His widow took the children back to Scotland.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                    A lot of people get so excited about finding a possible match with their tree that they leave out the vital bit, the name. I've just found a chunk of OH's family in a OneWorld Tree on Ancestry. Mostly accurate, some of it more detailed than what I had, but the owner chose to be anonymous.

Thats so annoying UJ, i found one that has my 2x great grandfathers first wife and children on there, it took me a while to work out it was the same man and its well soursed with GRO certs and parish records, but its owner is anonymous

Sylvia
                    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by geordiegirl View Post
                      It was The Inn Of The Sixth Happiness. a wonderful film and a real weepy at times.

Thank you Daphne
                      Barbara

Comment

Hi Jen, sorry I didn't think about this before - but am down with flu and my head seems to be on a different plane from the rest of me! A late Auntie of mine who researched family history many many years ago, went to London to the Missionery Society to look up records of an ancestor who had gone out to Africa to 'convert the natives'. She found a diary he had written - I think the Society encouraged their missionaries to keep diaries, and this one had been returned to them on his demise. If the Societies are still around they could prove a useful place for research. Val

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                          How funny. I would rather have my tree private rather than my name.
                          Kit

Comment

Thank you for your comments sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Thank you Val i will have to have a look into it a little deeper.
                            Jen

Comment

I have just looked out my copy of ¨The Small Woman¨ and the group that was most involved with sending missionaries to China was the China Inland Mission. If you Google i there is quite a lot of information about it. Gladys Aylward was rejected by them as they wanted young people who would be able to pick up the language more easily.

Pam
                              Pam

Comment

Working...
                              X