Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas?

Someone has kindly done a look up for me on GR for my ancestors marriage in discs they have:

"20 Jan 1774 Julien Francis James Bellenger, B, and Elizabeth Morgue, S, by S.R
    Wits: Julius Delavaux, Anne Bellenger"

Thing is I'm a bit confused as to what the S.R means, it may of course just be the ministers initials, but I'm wondering whether it is possibly something other than Banns or License that I do not know of? Have asked the lady who did the look up but she doesn't seem to be around now.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Are there no preamble pages on the disk which give the index of abbreviations?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think it's the vicar's initials & it's not stated if the marriage was by banns or license.

Jay
      Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        Are there no preamble pages on the disk which give the index of abbreviations?

Christine
        I'd imagine so, and have asked the lady who done the look up, but in mean time just wondered if it was an abbreviaton/term anyone here was familiar with, may have been something really obvious I was missing.

Comment

I think it's the vicar's initials.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for the opinions. Eeventually I'll get up to the LMA and view the original hopefully that will make it clear, but expect you are right vicars initials, that's what I was thinking initially anyway.

Comment

by Superintendent Registrar's certificate?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                by Superintendent Registrar's certificate?
                But would there have been Registrars before civil registration?

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Oops, I didn't look at the date. I guess not.

Comment

Working...
                  X