Tracking a school mistress ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking a school mistress ...

I have a school mistress who in 1881 is at North Wootton (Kings Lynn), then by 1891 she is in Poole Keynes, Wiltshire. Is there any index of school masters/mistresses which may be able to explain why she moved so far? I presume it would be a matter of her applying for the job rather than a posting?
    Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

You might find her listed on British Origins
    Moggie

Teachers’ Registrations is available to British Origins or Total Access subscribers only.

If you are a current subscriber, click here to login.

If you are not a current subscriber, click here to learn more and sign up.

Logged in users, click here to search the collection.

The Teachers' Registrations give details of nearly 100,000 people who taught in England and Wales bertween 1870 and 1948; more than half of those are women.

From 1914, many teachers in England and Wales (and elsewhere) registered with the Teachers Registration Council. The original registration records for the period up to 1948 (after which registration was abandoned) were deposited with the Society of Genealogists. The Origins Network has now scanned and indexed these records to make them publically available for the first time, on British Origins.

Although registration only started in 1914, since people who were already teaching registered, the records cover teachers who started their careers from the 1870s on.

Comment

Thanks for that - her name doesn't show up on their search - she was (Emma) Malvina Godman - she doesn't seem to have used the Emma bit which makes her (usually) quite easy to find ... especially as her mother was Georgiana (and many other spellings!)

Comment

Did you try to see if she'd been registered as GOODMAN?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

Yes, I've checked Goodman - it is a very common alternative earlier in the family, but it seemed to have settled down by the end of the 19th century.

She married a Frederick Newman, so I've looked under that too ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Dudley View Post
            Hi Christine,

Yes, I've checked Goodman - it is a very common alternative earlier in the family, but it seemed to have settled down by the end of the 19th century.

She married a Frederick Newman, so I've looked under that too ...
            You reckon she continued teaching after she was married? That would be unusual then, I think?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

They married in 1891 when she was at Poole Keynes, but in 1901 they are in the School House in Ashley, near Box - he is described as an 'Ordinary Agricultural Labourer' and she is still school mistress ....

It just intrigues me how teachers may have moved about the country - I hadn't realised it was a profession then - thought it was more a local spinster sort of thing ....

Comment

I've got loads of teachers in various branches of my family.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

i thought women had to resign when they got married?

Comment

I didn't know that kylejustin, and it doesn't seem to have happened in this case ...

Comment

At a conference last weekend, I asked the lecturer about people who moved long distances round the country in search of jobs (in that instance to work in department stores) because I was curious why people didn't just find places in the next big town. She said that there would be a combination of people sending written testimonials, asking for work, and the organisations advertising in the trade press.

I don't know when the Times Educational Supplement started, or if there was a well-known predecessor, but I assume from various memoirs set in the early 1900s that there was something like that around. Possibly the National and British Schools had their own individual publications?
                      Phoenix - with charred feathers
                      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Schoolteachers

You might find Guinevere's article, amongst others, in the September magazine interesting ...
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline!

Comment

Working...
                          X