Help Please on an Inquest and Postmortem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please on an Inquest and Postmortem

My husbands great grandfather (James William Milton) died following an accident in Poplar Goods Yard GWR in February 1897, according to his death certificate there was a postmortem and inquest. I was wondering if there would be any online sources where I could look these up, also if it was likely that there would be a newspaper report on the accident.

It's the first time I have come across anything like this so I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks

Margaret
    Margaret

Hi Margaret,

What does the death cert. say. My great grandfather was killed when he fell off a roof he was working on in 1884. There was an inquest and that is reported on the death cert.

Kathlyn

Comment

loads of info in the Wiki - always worth a look!

Coroner’s Records - Family Tree Forum
      Vicky

Comment

Inquest reports are not always held but I am sure an accident like this would be reported in a local paper. You have the exact dates of death and inquest so the search would not be too hard. You main problem would be that it was in London so there would be a lot of different newspapers.

Anne

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Kathlyn, under Cause of Death, the death certificate says that he fell off his van (he was a carman) in Poplar Goods Yard GWR - accident - Postmortem. Then under signature, description etc. it is signed by the Coroner for County of London, Inquest held and the date.

Margaret
          Margaret

Comment

Some inquest reports survive. I have some for two of my ancestors. To me they are fascinating reading, some of my family being witnesses, ie the widow and son in one instance; and to see actual signatures on the report.

You could try the local newspaper and the records office.
            Joy

Comment

The only thing I managed to get Margaret was a shortened version of the coroner's report in the newspaper, it was a shame because it said the coroner's report was 'lengthy' but couldn't be printed because of space. When I tried to get the report from Lancashire Record Office, I was told that no reports survived before 1939.

Good Luck
              Jean
              Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Margaret,

It seems I have been lucky that the death cert of my great grandfather gave me such details of the accident.

Just keep on trying, good luck.

Kathlyn

Comment

Working...
                X