• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are there so many people?

is this a workhouse?

ref- ho107, piece 705, book 8

there are so many people!!

It says Shoreditch Workhouse at the top of the page.

OC

Comment

i wonder why my ancestor was there?

Comment

I often wonder why one of our ancestors ended up in the Bethnal Green workhouse, when he originally had his own carpentry business, could write his name and had eight children. And he was there for two census, so it wasn't a short term arrangement. Very strange!

Comment

The Cholera epidemic of 1838 hit the Bethnal Green/ Shoreditch area particularly badly.

19c housing health.

It seems likely that as a consequence of this many businesses would have lost customers and brought financial ruin on their owners, and loss of jobs to their workers.

Comment

Thankyou Roger, that has given me a different slant on the situation. Val

Comment

i have two elderly ancestors who died in this part of london in 1846, could they have died from cholera?

Comment

Their death certificates would tell you, Kylejustin
                To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

I too found someone in Shoreditch Workhouse in 1841 - temporarily abandoned by husband, who I think was a BAD LOT. There is an admissions register covering the period, but it was unfortunately unavailable when I was there, as they were refilming it.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Val and George View Post
                    I often wonder why one of our ancestors ended up in the Bethnal Green workhouse, when he originally had his own carpentry business, could write his name and had eight children. And he was there for two census, so it wasn't a short term arrangement. Very strange!
                    He might not have been in the workhouse continually - just there when that census was taken. I have a rellie who is showing in the workhouse on 3 censi. but on checking the records they showed she had in fact left a couple of times and been re admitted. It seems she went in and had illegitimate children:o
                    Pam

Comment

Oh, Ok Pam, that's another thought. Many thanks for the input - Val

Comment

Working...
                      X