german ancestors from poland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• german ancestors from poland

i have posted all over ancestry and genforum, and so far no one has been able to help me.

i have a johann sigismond dittmann and sophia elizabth luker in my tree, they married in posen, which is now poznan, poland, in 1848.

they emmigrated to victoria in 1850, after the birth of emil (james).
    they had the rest of the family in vctoria.

once they were here, he called himself john dettmann.
    on australian certificates of birth, details of the parents births and marriage are included. john said he was born in posen, about 1821. sophia said she was born in berlin about 1826. her surname is spelled differently on every certificate, mostly, lucas.

he died in may 1895, and her in 1888, both in kyneton.

there is a record on the igi, but it is submitted by a mormon. but it does have the same death date and has both names he bore.

the parents according to the igi were christian sigismond dittmann, and johanna elisabeth schultz.

i cant find a record of them at all in europe. not even they're departure on the wappaus.

can anyone help?

From recent WDYTYA programmes (e.g. Gerry Springer, which you won't have seen) I get the impression that some records have survived but they need to be rooted out "on the ground" by local researchers who know what they are doing. The border between Germany and Poland has moved several times over the last 150 years and there have been many changes of regime in both countries. But you didn't need me to tell you that.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thanx uj.

i've found that, although johann was born prussian, his grandparents, were probably austrian!!

due to the border changes of course.

Comment

I came across this the other day - Genealogy Indexer have not had a chance to look at it properly, and have to go to work now - but thought I'd mention it just in case
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

genealogy.net - Online-OFBs

I've used this site before to try and find my Kattenhorns. Not sure if it will help you but maybe worth a look.

Comment

thanx, guys. but maybe i should accept that i'll never find this branch.

my great grandfather tried researching them in the 1920's, and had no luck.
            they're very elusive, i'll give 'em that!!:D

Comment

I know how you feel, the problem for me is how they spelt their name but also the fact that my ancestors liked to change their first names quite regularly too! :D

Comment

minw anglicised themselves into society. but were always proud of their heritage. just wish they'd done more about spreading that heritage!!

Comment

Thought I'd found a tree on Ancestry with them, but it's yours lol.

Oh well...........

My German lot changed their spelling Deitrich/Detrich/Dettrick etc, etc.
                  They also changed their christian names or used English versions of second names.
                  My great grandmother was baptised Josepha...married as Sophia....buried as Josephine.

Comment

mine went from dittman to dettmann always dropping 'n' or 't's.
                    my 2nd great grandad married as dettman, died detmann, and was born ditman.

his siblings were born under dittman, dittmann, ditman, ditmann.
                    and themother name as luca, luker, lucker and most common lucas.

and to add to things, he was born frederick william, but only used william!!
                    he was troublesome to find!!

Comment

Working...
                    X