Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know about Australian Estate laws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know about Australian Estate laws?

Hi

this might sound odd, but after i got a contact from a person in Oz about a long-lost brother of my nans i want to make sure that she isnt going to get any nasty surprises. This company seem very respectable but i wanted to make sure that any debts etc cannot be passed on before i give her my nans details. TBH at the moment im just gagging for this woman to get back in contact because im dying to know more about him personally, but i guess i will just have to wait.

BTW, does anyone know what kinds of things they would contact someone about? Im not expecting money or actual estate, i was just curious really as to what sorts of things they would go global for.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

What company are you talking about?

Comment

Macbeths
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Is it some kind of heir hunting agency that's contacted you about your Nan's brother?

Comment

Never mind, I've found their website now:

Macbeth Genealogical Services

No idea if they're reputable - I hope one of the Aussie posters will have heard of them.

This tells you a bit about probate in Australia:

Law Society of New South Wales - Executor of a deceased estate?

From what I remember of English law (assuming Australian law's the same), the beneficiary of an estate isn't responsible for the testator's debts unless they accept the legacy, which they can refuse to do.

Comment

from their website they do genealogy but also deal with probate. The thing that makes me think its real is that they knew his name, plus my nans name and her mums name too. I have not put anywhere about Walter, certainly not that his mother was who she was (its a very unusual name too). Ive asked quite a few questions and i wont be giving out any information until i know for definate where it has come from. someone kindly found a death in the Australian papers for Walter with the right kind of age, although obviously i am unable to confirm anything at this time
            Robyne

Comment

sorry must have crossed over. thanks for the link on probate
              Robyne

Comment

I would have thought they may be trying to contact you for one of two reasons:

1. someone in your family has been left a legacy in the deceased's will

2. the deceased didn't leave a will, and the Public Trustee is trying to trace the next of kin who'll be entitled to inherit.

Comment

In Australia, marriage certificates usually show the names of both spouses' parents, including the mother's maiden name; this could be where his mother's name came from, but it wouldn't explain how they knew your nan's name.

Comment

By the way, don't forget that threads on this board get picked up by Google, so don't post anything that would best be kept private.

Comment

Not sure how they got my nans name, but they did get in contact via Ancestry so could have seen it there although my tree is private (or so it says). however they also said that they couldnt find her after 1997 when she moved (and mentioned the town and county), which is exactly what happened (again i guess from electoral record?).

I guess i will just have to wait and see what she gets in contact with tomorrow. Thanks for all your help
                      Robyne

Comment

Working...
                      X