Electors Registers public access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electors Registers public access

I was at Birmingham Central Library today and there was a notice that only Electors Rolls up to 2002 are available for access in the library.

Apparently due to the data protection act you have to go to another building (election office I think but didn't take much notice) and produce proof of identity for a very limited access - not allowed to browse.

Is it just Birmingham that's limiting access?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Our church has a copy of the current electoral roll for Bedford, as do many other public buildings.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think that there are now two versions of the electoral roll. One is generally available to the public in easy-to-access form (including to junk-mail generators), but you can elect to be suppressed in that list, and only on the version that requires a visit in person.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No, it is different people applying different rules! (On different days, sometimes!)

I hads this - no current register in the library, had to go to Council Office. Woman would NOT let me search and stood over me whilst I looked at the register.

I have been told since that she had no right to do this, but other authorities say she DID have the right.

Take yer pick!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
          Our church has a copy of the current electoral roll for Bedford, as do many other public buildings.
          I have seen several churches in my area that have the list pinned up just inside (or on the back) of the door!!!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
            I have seen several churches in my area that have the list pinned up just inside (or on the back) of the door!!!
            The electoral roll that churches have pinned up is more likely to be their own electoral roll (allowing them to vote for things happening within the church) than the secular one.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              The electoral roll that churches have pinned up is more likely to be their own electoral roll (allowing them to vote for things happening within the church) than the secular one.

Christine
              Quite possibly Christine, what is quite disconcerting is that it happens frequently in the rural churches, left unlocked during daylight hours, the residents names and addresses visible for all to see.

Hardly helping the security of rural households, especially when you consider a lot of the folks who volunteer their time with the church are often not quite as youthful as they once were.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                Quite possibly Christine, what is quite disconcerting is that it happens frequently in the rural churches, left unlocked during daylight hours, the residents names and addresses visible for all to see.

Hardly helping the security of rural households, especially when you consider a lot of the folks who volunteer their time with the church are often not quite as youthful as they once were.
                It's something I remarked upon here. I think it got moved after that!

There may be some issues about requirements for the list to be displayed for a certain length of time - but I forget the details. If my impression is right, then I think our lists get put outside for three weeks before the APM (annual parish meeting) and then indoors after that. But that could be a load of hogwash...

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  This is the pukka Council one. We're very careful with personal data about church people. Our internal directory is distributed on a need to know basis.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X