No announcement yet.

Howarth Yorkshire - or even Lancashire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howarth Yorkshire - or even Lancashire!

I have my 3xgt grandmother on the censuses in 1851 and 1861. One says she was born in Howarth Yorkshire, the other Yorkshire Lancashire.

1851 Census
    RG9 3285 69 18
    New Road Skircoat
    John Stillings Head Mar 57 Horse Farmer Yorkshire Skircoat
    Elizabeth Wife Mar 54 House Duties Lancashire Howarth
    Ellen Daur Un 18 Dress maker Yorkshire Skircoat
    Susannah Daur Un 14 Dress maker Yorkshire Skircoat

1861 Census
    RG9 3285 69 18
    G. Stillings Houses No. 3
    John Stillings Head Mar 67 Horse Doctor Yorkshire Norland
    Elizabeth Wife 64 Yorkshire Howarth
    Ellen Daur Un 26 Dress maker Yorkshire Skircoat
    Sushannah Daur Un Woolen Weaver Yorkshire Skircoat
    Nancy Greenwood Grand Daur 8 Scholar Yorkshire Skircoat

Where is this place?

I'm trying to work out where to look for the marriage between John Stillings and Elizabeth, and also a baptism for her.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Haworth is in the West Riding of Yorkshire and is where the Bronte family come from. It is quite a small village on the edge of the moors.
    Last edited by Stella; 01-09-08, 14:53.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

I wonder if it was supposed to be Haworth (Yks)
      Elaine

Comment

Oh yes Elaine, actually that is the place I meant in my post and spelt it wrong. I shall amend it.

Comment

Looking at Google maps, Norland is SE of Halifax in a big area of nothing much, and Skircoat is a few miles east of that.

I presume you mean Haworth (Bronte country) which is NW of Keighley. If they married at the bride's home, I'd be looking near Haworth.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I thought of Haworth, but they both say Howarth!

Do you think Haworth is still correct? I suppose they sound more or less the same.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Well, it is pronounced the way you have spelt it, so could be HAworth.

Comment

Hi Elizabeth,

There's a place in Rochdale Lancashire called Great Howarth.

And on igi ..........

John Stillings married Elizabeth Sladen

19 SEP 1816 St Chads, Rochdale, Lancashire, England

Comment

On the 1841..........Elizabeth is born out of County Yorkshire.

Comment

Susan, thank you so much! I will investigate further.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

First child of John and Elizabeth, my 2xgt grandmother Sophia Charlotte Stillings, was born in 1818, so that fits! And my great-grandmother Ellen moved with her parents back to Lancashire.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth Sladen does sound promising, Elizabeth. I hope she is your 3xgrandmother, good luck with your search............my fingers are crossed.

Comment

Susan, many thanks! I need to make a trip north for other research, so I'll add this record to the list to look at!

My Alexanders were in Lancashire, descendants of Stillings through the female line.

I don't think I would have found this without your help.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Don't know if this will help in your marriage search

Baptisms St Mary's Elland

02/03/1794 John Stillings (father George). Chapelry of Norland Have run a search for any marriages and other Stilling baptisms - nothing.

Have also run a check for any marriage - zero so guess Haworth is your best bet as bride's parish.

Have also checked Halifax St John's (people from Norland at that time would either have got married at Elland St Mary's or Halifax St John's).

Only one Stilling marriage (spelled like that) at Halifax St Johns of a William Stillings abode Skircoat.

Edit

I also have some Stilling MI's - looks like the same George and William and family - definitely in right area. pm me if you want them
                            Last edited by taffyfrog; 02-09-08, 17:36.
                            CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Carole,

Many thanks for your look-ups. I was interested to see the baptism for John with father George. Yesterday I looked for John's baptism on the IGI, but all I found was a William Stillings, christened 11 September 1795 at Sowerby, father George Stillings. I wondered if he and John might be brothers.

Just for the record, could you tell me where you looked? Was it a family history publication? I'm planning a trip to Yorkshire shortly, and will have limited time, so I don't want to duplicate your research as I could use the time better looking for something else.

I'm really grateful for the time and effort you put in.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth

Will mail you shortly
                                CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Thanks, Carole!
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:

Comment

E-mails received, and I have e-mailed you back, Carole.
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                                    X