Marriage Cert No occuption for woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Cert No occuption for woman

I have a marriage cert from 1947, but the occupation for the woman is blank, although she was in a occupation .
    What would you say could be the reason she decided to say nothing?? or is that quite normal??? thanks
    I do have a very good reason for asking.

Its very normal. I think its only relatively recently that women gave their occupation. It was considered "genteel" not to need to work.

I'm also sure that many of the married women on censuses worked as well as running the home and caring for children, even if they aren't recorded as doing so.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

thats s shame as I know what she did for a living and you would not put that on a cert LOL, so was hoping that was the reason.After all she didnt mind putting the same address as him.

Comment

Maybe the person filling in the register didn't bother to ask. Now most women would be glad to have their occupation recorded, but back then it was probably considered posh to appear not to need to work.

Or she may have given up her job as she was getting married. This was very common then.

Comment

Oh, well if she had something dubious it wouldnt be recorded. I've yet to see a cert that has burglar, prostitute, abortionist or professional gambler on it!

Comment

LOL Nell , just seemed odd as she was a very independant lady.

Comment

The fact that she gave the same address as her husband-to-be doesn't necessarily mean they were living together - it was very commonly done (I think because it was cheaper to have the banns read in the same parish).

Comment

Having the same address is very very common. I know in my grandparents' case, they met because grandfather was a lodger in grandmother's stepfather's house.

In lots of cases it saved having 2 sets of banns read and of course its entirely possible that neither bride nor groom stayed at the address on the marriage cert.

Comment

That's right. My great-grandmother lived in Lichfield and her husband in Leicester. They both gave her sister's address in Leicester on the marriage cert, although I know he had a different address.

Comment

My address on my marriage cert is my grandads. I wasnt living there but gave that address as I wanted to get married at a church I wasn't in the parish of and grandad was.

Comment

she was living with him I know that for a fact she told me LOL

Comment

Val

I don't think that is unusual.

My lovely uncle born in 1913 lived with his second wife for 20 years before they were married. There was no reason, they were both free to marry, just didn't get around to it. His first wife died in 1948, they met in 1949 and married in 1969.

Comment

hi Margaret it just surprises me not to want people to know you have an occupation ?? but its okay to live with a man before marriage ???
                          Its a long long story but one day I hope to write a book on her.

Comment

First you say that what she did for a living isn't something you put on a cert and then you say its surprising she didn't want people to know what she did.

But on her wedding day she probably wasn't bothered about the paperwork anyway. Who knows!

Comment

Nell what I meant was in my poor English , that I would have thought she would not have wanted anybody to know she was living with him before marriage.

Comment

As said before, many couples gave the same address on their marriages. No one would infer that they were cohabiting.

And who knows what someone else would have thought in the past? We tend to think of our ancestors as prudes, but I've been quite surprised at how modern some of them appear to have been.

Comment

Nell

I agree

I am absolutely certain that one set of my great great grandparents did not marry.

I have checked the GRO indexes. The Ashbourne registrar has checked. I have searched parish registers. Nothing.

They were living over the brush. (so to speak)

Comment

Same here - at least one couple among my ancestors lived together for many years before marrying. They were together on the census, listed as husband and wife, and had children together.

Comment

im starting to think this with one set of ancestors.
                                      the lady, said she was a butlers wife on one census and a widow on the next.
                                      yet, the man is never with the family, and the kids are registered under the mother's name. there arn't any marriages for them either.

Comment

I'd say half of the marriage certs I have record the same address for bride and groom, regardless of whether they were living together and that's with respectable and not so respectable ancestors I don't think people were as prudish as we think either, they were much more practical than we give them credit for and - at least in the working classes - married when they had to most of the time.

I am sure my great great grandparents never married - if they did, it's very well hidden and half of their children married after the birth of their own children, when they had already been living together as man and wife.

I imagine that women weren't asked what their occupations were as they generally weren't thought to count. I got a certificate recently where the bride was recorded as a dressmaker though, that in 1859.
                                        Asa

Comment

Working...
                                        X