Vista user account control- allow access or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista user account control- allow access or not

Every time I start my FTM I get the user account control screen come up asking me if I want to allow this program or not. It's driving me mad.

Is there any way I can turn this function off?

not sure if this helps
    Vista User Account Control (UAC) disable Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode
    Elaine

Comment

Oooh it looks a bit complicated. I might leave well alone.

Comment

bear in mind that if you turn UAC off, any application will be able to run without your approval. this includes anything nasty that could be embedded in a webpage or email.

Yes UAC is a pain in the backside at times, but it is ultimately there for your benefit.
        What is worse? having to agree to an application when you want to use it, or losing all your data if something goes awry?

Your choice, but as an IT professional my recommendation would be to learn to live with it and appreciate its benefits..
        https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Thank you Tim for your advise

I will leave well alone.

Comment

Not of much help but I seem to remember that I was able to have a list of approved programs so I didn't get the message each time. I still have UAC enabled but don't have that trouble.
            I have looked at my account and it is running with me as the administrator. It is not password protected except when we go away and then I set up the guest account for the family at home, which means they cannot download anything onto my computer without the password :D
            Jennie
            Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Comment

Originally posted by Jennie H View Post
              Not of much help but I seem to remember that I was able to have a list of approved programs so I didn't get the message each time. I still have UAC enabled but don't have that trouble.
              I have looked at my account and it is running with me as the administrator. It is not password protected except when we go away and then I set up the guest account for the family at home, which means they cannot download anything onto my computer without the password :D
              How do you do that then?

If I got a list of approved programs then I would be happy with that.

Comment

Margaret,
                Just thinking about what your query.

When I run FTM I don't get the User Account control pop up box - not sure why it is different to yours.
                If you right click on the FTM icon on your desktop and look at the compatibility tab, have you got anything ticked?
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Margaret,
                  Just thinking about what your query.

When I run FTM I don't get the User Account control pop up box - not sure why it is different to yours.
                  If you right click on the FTM icon on your desktop and look at the compatibility tab, have you got anything ticked?
                  Only the run as administrator Elaine.

I get the same user account control box come up when I run NBI2 as well

Comment

My "run as administrator" box isn't ticked - and I don't have any problem running/using the program.

Just untick it and sees what happens.
                    Elaine

Comment

I get the pop up box for NBI - but if I untick the "run as administrator" box for that it doesn't seem to like it!
                      Elaine

Comment

My "run as administrator" box isn't ticked - and I don't have any problem running/using the program.

Just untick it and sees what happens.
                        Hooray thanks Elaine, that works

I get the pop up box for NBI - but if I untick the "run as administrator" box for that it doesn't seem to like it!
                        Mmmm same here, that won't bother me though I dont use the NBI as often as I open FTM

Comment

Great - another problem solved!
                          Elaine

Comment

Oh, I'm glad you said that. It was only afterwards when I was out that I realised that it was for my Trend Micro I had to do that and NOT the Vista. It was for websites and not programs.
                            This genealogy doesn't half addle the brain
                            Jennie
                            Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Comment

Margret
                              if you want to turn off user account control here are the instrutions. Yes, account control is there for security, but from day one I have had it turned off on my Vista pc and have found it no more "dangerous" to run vista this way then it was to run xp.

Open up Control Panel, and type in "UAC" into the search box. You'll see a link for "Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off":

On the next screen you should uncheck the box for "Use User Account Control (UAC)", and then click on the OK button.

You'll need to reboot your computer before the changes take effect, but you should be all done with annoying prompts.

Comment

Strange because I have mine on but I dont get any problems. I didnt even know I had it on until one of the instructions for my prob with FTM2008 was to untick it to see if it helped.

Comment

Originally posted by lynda_carol View Post
                                  Margret
                                  if you want to turn off user account control here are the instrutions. Yes, account control is there for security, but from day one I have had it turned off on my Vista pc and have found it no more "dangerous" to run vista this way then it was to run xp.

Open up Control Panel, and type in "UAC" into the search box. You'll see a link for "Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off":

On the next screen you should uncheck the box for "Use User Account Control (UAC)", and then click on the OK button.

You'll need to reboot your computer before the changes take effect, but you should be all done with annoying prompts.

The problem with turning it off is that you may never know if something dodgy has been installed until it is too late. It is dangerous to presume that just because you have not noticed anything odd, everthing is ok...

Yes the prompts are annoying, but not as annoying as someone gaining access to your PC, logging what you type, etc.. etc..

UAC is there for your benefit, it isnt perfect but should be considered in the same light as antivirus/firewall software...
                                  I would certainly rather be asked about installing / running something than not being asked and discovering a problem later that has compromised my personal data
                                  https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Having user account turnned on will not stop anybody hacking into your pc. Turnning it off is no more dangerous then running any other os, as long as you have a firewall and good virus protection. All the added "security" on vista curbs the "freedom" you have when using other os, and Mr Gates did give us the option of turnning it off

Comment

Working...
                                    X