Have I got the right marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I got the right marriage?

I have a Bulmer family living in Sunderland in the mid to late 1800s. I thought I'd got back to the correct marriage but a Bulmer descendant on GR has thrown doubt on it. Unfortunately I can't find the family in 1871 or 1851, possibly because they've beaten my skills at sniffing out mistranscriptions. Here goes with the definite info. I haven't written down the census refs. but they were quite easy to find.

1901 - 1 Calver Street, Monkwearmouth
    William Trotman Head 37 general labourer b. Portsmouth
    Elizabeth Trotman Wife 36 b. Sunderland
    Thomas Trotman Son 15 apprentice cartwright b. Sunderland
    Louisa Trotman dau. 13 b. Sunderland
    Joshua Trotman son 13 b. Sunderland
    Beatrice Trotman dau. 9 b. Sunderland
    James Trotman son 5 b. Sunderland

1891 - 1 Calver Street
    Elizabeth Bulmer Head wid. 63 b. Sunderland (she died in 1900)
    William Trotman 27 ship plater b. Portsmouth
    Elizabeth Trotman 26 b. Sunderland
    Thomas Trotman 5 b. Sunderland
    Louisa Trotman 3 b. Sunderland
    Joshua Trotman 1 b. Sunderland
    Thomas Bulmer 30 son cartman b. Hexam

1881 - 1 Calver Street
    Thomas Bulmer head 60 b. Easington (he died later in 1881)
    Elizabeth Bulmer 55 b. Easington
    Joshua Bulmer 29 iron shipwright b. Gilgate, Durham
    Thomas Bulmer 23 cartman b. Bishopwearmouth
    Elizabeth Bulmer 16 b. Bishopwearmouth (she married William Trotman in 1885)

1871 - can't find any of them apart from William Trotman (I also have him elsewhere in Monkwearmouth in 1881)

1861 - Hodgsons Bldgs. Monkwearmouth
    Thomas Bulmer 40 sawyer
    Elizabeth Bulmer 34 b. Humshaugh, NLD
    Joshua Bulmer 10
    Thomas Bulmer 5
    William Bulmer 1

I can't find them in 1851

The marriage which I and my GR contact both have is
    Thomas Bulmer to Elizabeth Gibbins q4 1842 Sunderland vol 24 page 236.
    This is his additional information:

Another contact informed me of a son George born c1842 in Sunderland; died 1877 in Sunderland.

Below are the marriage details found at Sunderland Archives.

Marriage source - St Peter's, Monkwearmouth, Sunderland, Co Durham.
    Reel 162, Page 235, Entry 469.
    Groom - Thomas Bulmer, a Full Age Bachelor, a Shipwright,
    of Monkwearmouth Shore, Sunderland, Co Durham.
    Groom's father - John Bulmer, a Husbandman.
    Bride - Elizabeth Gibbons, a Full Age Spinster,
    of Monkwearmouth Shore, Sunderland, Co Durham.
    Bride's father - William Gibbons, a Mariner.
    Witnesses at wedding - Jane Nicholson & Arthur Robson.
    Married 18 December 1842.

His beef is that at marriage Thomas was a shipwright and by 1861 he was a sawyer. If he was making wooden ships there's not much change. If we can find him in 1851 and/or 1871 it would help.

So, can anyone find the family in 1871 and 1851, just for complete continuity? Personally I think the 1881 and 1861 families are a good enough match and Elizabeth's age is a good link.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

do you have a birth for thomas?

Comment

Have you William Bulmer's birth certificate?

There are huge gaps everywhere and marked differences in birthplaces. I presume Gilsgate is Gilesgate in Durham, which would be nowhere near Sunderland as a birthplace.

A sawyer could be bobbing about all over the place. I have one who darts regularly between the north east and Bradford.

I can't find anything remotely like a mistranscription for Thomases married to Elizabeths, so I wonder if either of them had second names they occasionaly used.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

This is a distant twig on my tree and I can't justify spending out on it.

I don't have confirmed births for Thomas Bulmer or Elizabeth Gibbins. I got her name from the marriage on Sunderland BMD and confirmed it with a GRO page match.

And I've just realised I only have approximate y.o.b. and p.o.b. for the first generation Bulmers (Joshua, Thomas, William and Elizabeth) derived from the censuses. I'll carry on looking for them.

Comment

I've now got likely births for the last 2 children:

William Bulmer, q1 1860 Sunderland 10a 476
          Elizabeth Bulmer, q1 1865 Sunderland 10a 551.

And I've noticed that doing a Web Search from FTM now brings up the BVRI entries from Ancestry. No hits yet though.

Comment

I have got in 1851 census thomas and elizabeth bulmer but her maiden name is collingwood!

Comment

Here they are in 1851

HO107; Piece: 2390; Folio: 394
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

NB The reference fits because they are living in Elvet, a spitting distance from Gilesgate.

Joshua was Joshua Bartram and Easington has a family of JohnBulmer 69 in 1851, Margaret 58 and Bartram aged 28.

Comment

And this looks like them in 1871:

RG10; Piece: 5022; Folio: 24; Page: 41

Comment

A George Bulmer, b 1842 Sunderland, is living with his grandfather, John Bulmer in Bishop Wearmouth in 1851.

It looks as if there may have been two Thomases and Elizabeths. Possibly, both Thomases had fathers called John.

Comment

Phoenix and Tessie: the 1851 looks to be right because of the places of birth (Easington and Humshaugh). So it does look as though I've got the wrong marriage.

But the 1871 ref. doesn't seem to be bringing up the right people.

Comment

UJ, you have all the right children's names, in the right order in 1871, but father's name is down as Wm. It is so scrunched up, I reckon it was abbreviated and misread. Mother's birthplace is Northumberland, which is right.

Comment

Ah but you didn't tell me they were mistrancribed as Balmer. That's why I got rubbish results.

And the enumerator gets nul points for p.o.b. accuracy and completeness. It's only the fact that the names tally that clinches it.

Comment

I've looked for likely Collingwood marriages. There was one in 1841 in South Shields (rather a long way away) but the husband is Adam Steel (crosschecked with North Tyneside BMD).

Comment

I think it's in Tynemouth in 1850, UJ

Comment

Got that. North Tyneside doesn't have an online index so I can't cross-check it.

Comment

it sounds like you have them now uj.

it did sound like you wern't too sure until the mistranscription was revealed.
                                  i have an ancestor who was mistrancribed as marian wm. morton, when i saw the page it clearly said marian vye morton.

enumerators make mistakes!!

Comment

Working...
                                  X