occupation on babtism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• occupation on babtism?

HI ..has anyone came across this occupation before..if so what is it please?
    at a childs babtism in 1810 it has the fathers occupation as a HUSBANDSMAN
    any thoughts??...thanks...allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

A husbandsman is one who act or practices the cultivation of crops and breeding and raising livestock; agriculture.
    The application of scientific principles to agriculture, especially to animal breeding.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thanks Wendy...I thought it was a little early for the husband to stay at home while the wife worked...cheers...allan
      unless a moderator thinks this may be of use to other members,this thread can be deleted now...thanks...allan
      Last edited by garstonite; 30-08-08, 19:34.
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Possibly he had a smallholding with some crops and a few pigs etc.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Husbandman is where we get the word husband from. And the verb as in "to husband your resources" and the noun husbandry, meaning economy. It derives from Anglo-Saxon husbonda, a shepherd. I always thought it meant a man that tended farm animals, but it can be an owner of a smallholding.

Makes a change from ag lab!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

For what it's worth, my sense has been that a husbandman was someone who chiefly worked on another's farm - at least that's where he made most of his income. Any land he farmed for himself would either be for his household or as a sideline (e.g., selling eggs, piglets, etc...). Probably much the same work as an ag lab, but perhaps with more skills and experience - the equivalent of a journeyman in one of the trades.

Many (most?) poor boys in rural areas who were put out (indentured) as Parishes Apprentices (unpaid labour for 7 years, except for room and board), were to be trained in the arts of husbandry, while girls were often trained in domestic service.

Actually, my 3xg-gf, John Scoins (born abt 1789) was a Parish Apprentice in husbandry in Chulmleigh, Devon from the age of 10 to 21, as were my 2xg-gf (his son) and two of his siblings. So I'm not "looking down my nose" in the least. It was certainly a much healthier life than working in a factory and living in an urban slum.

Tim
            "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

The heirarchy of farming, from the top down:

Yeoman (or Gentleman Farmer) - never got his hands dirty and possibly never even visited his farm.

Farmer (got his hands dirty but usually employed help)

Farm Steward (acted on behalf of a Yeoman or Gentleman farmer, often over more than one farm)

Husbandman
              Ag lab
              Farm servant.
              Apprentice.

Ag lab is above farm servant only because an ag lab did not live in and presumably could do other things to supplement his income. His income from ag labbing was not secure however, whereas a farm servant's was, at least for the year of his contract.

OC

Comment

Working...
              X