Exporting a descendant tree on FTM 2006 - problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exporting a descendant tree on FTM 2006 - problem

I am trying to export a descendant tree to send to a relative who won't have a tree program on their computer.

The only option my 2006 FTM gives me is to acrobat pdf.

This won't work and keeps closing the program down. This is a screenshot of what I get.

I usually export it as a Gedcom.

Go to File/Export File/CopyExport individuals in descendant tree.

Don't use the pdf one so can't help.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy

It isnt giving me that option. All I get is to export to pdf. Everything else is greyed out.

Don't want to do gedcom as it has photos in, plus person I want to sent it to wouldn't be able to open it.

Comment

Its in Export File not Export Descendants Tree.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
          Its in Export File not Export Descendants Tree.
          I know, that works if I want to send all or part of my tree.

It is all greyed out on the tree I want to send, export file and export descendants tree except for pdf.

I have created a tree, just with a few names on. 5 generations and not many on them. I am trying to export that tree so that the person I want to send it to can read it.

Think I am going to give up

Comment

Margaret - are you on Vista?

This may sound odd but bear with me!!
            Go to Control Panel and select Printers - have you got one there that says Family Tree Maker printer?
            Elaine

Comment

You know Elaine I think I have had a problem like this before on XP.

Yes, I am on Vista.

I don't have the FTM printer in control panel.

All I have is my epson printer

Microsoft XPS Document writer and Send to Onenote 2007

I have no idea what the second two are.

Comment

Right - I think it is because you haven't got a Family Tree Printer driver listed that you are having this problem.

Go to the following page and follow the instructions in point no. 1 under the heading "If the Family Tree Maker Printer is not installed"
                Answer
                Elaine

Comment

Margaret - in case you haven't found the file you need it appears to be under
                  C:/Program Files / Family Tree Maker 2006 /
                  Elaine

Comment

Mmmmmm looked at that. I tried to install the Amyuni Document Converter and got a message that it wasn't compatible with the type of Windows I was using.

I'm wondering if I installed the patch for FTM and Vista properly.

Can you give me a link to it Elaine?

Comment

It's OK I found the patch

Comment

Vista patch
                        Answer

Important - when you are installing it make sure it is installed into the Family Tree Maker folder.
                        Elaine

Comment

No still not working. I have checked that the patch was installed properly and I still havent got FTM printer in the control panel

As I very rarely want to do anything like I am trying to do at the moment I am wondering if its wirth the bother

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            Vista patch
                            Answer

Important - when you are installing it make sure it is installed into the Family Tree Maker folder.
                            Just tried to double check on that and it says I don't have permission to save in this folder and to contact the administrator to obtain permission

now even more

Comment

Can you right click on the file and open as Administrator?
                              Elaine

Comment

Margaret, why not post a query on the FTM Help forum
                                Family Tree Maker Error Messages and Display Problems Forum

There is a resident expert, Russ Worthington, who is very good and will talk you through things stage by stage. I am sure it is something to do with not having the FTM printer.
                                Elaine

Comment

Can you right click on the file and open as Administrator?
                                  Tried that Elaine, still says I don't have permission

Comment

Margaret, why not post a query on the FTM Help forum
                                    Family Tree Maker Error Messages and Display Problems Forum

There is a resident expert, Russ Worthington, who is very good and will talk you through things stage by stage. I am sure it is something to do with not having the FTM printer.
                                    Yes I will do that tomorrow. Expecting visitors anytime now.

Thank you for your help, you seem to be helping me a lot these days.

Comment

I completely missed the thread, (must have been in the wiki :D). I agree with Elaine that it's the default/installed printer settings that are causing the problem.

TBH i have the same problem and haven't tried to resolve it, mind you i still have unresolved issues with my homepage access and updates that have been ongoing for months and months too!!
                                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Would upgrading to a newer version of FTM solve the problem or are there still issues with FTM2008

Comment

Working...
                                        X