Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a wedd cert back??

Hi

Just got a wedding certificate back and have a bit of a mystery!

Joseph Bailey (20) m Hannah Leech (20) on 10th Nov 1873 at St.John the Baptist church, Godley cum Newton Green in Ashton Under Lyne area.

Hannah lived at Mottram and her father, John Leech was a block printer, which fits in with the censuses I have found for her family.

Joseph lived at Hollingworth and his father, Samuel HATCHES Bailey was a Joiner.

I think I have Joseph in 1861 living at Hollingworth St. Hollingworth with the Knowles family as a step son.
    The wedding cert doesn't say that Samuel's father was deceased though???
    All a bit confusing???

I am stumped with the HATCHES.... can't seem to find anything?? Help!!

Tracy x
    Last edited by castanea1985; 30-08-08, 11:22.

Where was Joseph born and what is the reference for the 1861 census where he is step son.

IGNORE THAT - FOUND THE 1861!
    Elaine

Comment

Could be a second marriage for Hannah (freeBMD)
      Marriages Jun 1860
      >>>Bailey Hannah
      Buckley William
      HELLEWELL Mary
      >>>KNOWLES George
      Ashton 8d 804
      Elaine

Comment

If that is the right family in 1861, trying to trace Hannah Bayley/Bailey back, but the ones I have found there doesn't seem to be a husband shown anywhere!

possible 1851
        HO107; Piece: 2157; Folio: 611; Page: 33

possible 1841
        HO107; Piece 99; Book: 21; Civil Parish: Cheadle; County: Cheshire; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 18; Page: 30; Line: 23;

The Hatches part of the name could be Samuel's MMN.
        Elaine

Comment

Alternatively, maybe Samuel was illegit and Hatch was his father's surname.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Joseph's birth certificate might be of help.
            Elaine

Comment

Could be father's death
              Samuel Bailey 1855 Jan-Feb-Mar Ashton Under Lyne Volume: 8d Page: 379

Comment

id go wth it as his mothers name

Comment

Nell, isn't Ashton under Lyne in Lancs.
                  Rest of info above is Cheshire - quite a few Samuel Bayley deaths listed in Cheshire.
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just got back in from town!

The Cheshire/Lancashire thing always stumps me... especially when trying to put a search in Ancestry etc..

The Wedding cert is in the district of Ashton Under Lyne in the county of Chester, and I know when I've been to Tameside records office, they use the Cheshire BMD site.

But its a strange one!

I did wonder about Samuel's mother being unmarried? But when I did a search for Hatch... thinking the father might live in the area... I couldn't find a thing!!

We know that Joseph was 20 on 10th Nov 1873... so gives us a 12 month window for a birth?

Tracy

Comment

1861 census - if this is him, gives Joseph's age as 9, giving birth year of abt 1852. If he married in 1873 aged 20, and before his 21st birthday, that would also fit with birth year of 1852.

If it is him 1861 he has a sister Sarah A. Bayley (sic) aged 16, so born abt 1845.

Comment

Originally posted by castanea1985 View Post
                        The Wedding cert is in the district of Ashton Under Lyne in the county of Chester, and I know when I've been to Tameside records office, they use the Cheshire BMD site.
                        Ashton-under-Lyne is to the east of Manchester city centre and I know the old county boundary runs through the south-eastern suburbs. The Derbyshire boundary is also very close.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Sorry, just seen Elaine's post. I didn't know there were two Ashton under Lynes! The north is a big mystery to me, as far as I am concerned the tundra sets in around Milton Keynes.

Comment

Hatch certainly sounds like a surname - I have a few ancestors who are named after their grandparents' surname, rather than parents, so it might be a generation later - or even further. Husband's Welsh grandfather had middle name that was his gt grandmother's maiden name.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                              Sorry, just seen Elaine's post. I didn't know there were two Ashton under Lynes! The north is a big mystery to me, as far as I am concerned the tundra sets in around Milton Keynes.
                              There is only one. It's just that the county boundaries between Lancashire, Cheshire and Derbyshire are very close in the eastern/southeastern suburbs of Manchester.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                1861 census - if this is him, gives Joseph's age as 9, giving birth year of abt 1852. If he married in 1873 aged 20, and before his 21st birthday, that would also fit with birth year of 1852.

If it is him 1861 he has a sister Sarah A. Bayley (sic) aged 16, so born abt 1845.
                                Thanks for that, Nell

I did a search on Cheshire BMD for a poss marriage for Hannah, and there is a marriage to a Bailey in 1844 at Mottram (which is the right area), but it isn't a SAMUEL Bailey?? Its a Thomas??

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                  There is only one. It's just that the county boundaries between Lancashire, Cheshire and Derbyshire are very close in the eastern/southeastern suburbs of Manchester.
                                  when I lived there, in the 1960's & 70's , it was in Lancashire LOL (says an ex-pat living in Yorkshire)
                                  Its only since the local govt reorganisation in 1974 that things got complicated. Its part of Tameside, which covers parts of lancashire, Cheshire & Derbyshire (& I believe a tiny piece of what used to be Yorkshire thrown in for good measure too)

The BMDs now come under Cheshire, but the postal addy for Ashton is still Lancs (if you dont want to put Greater Manchester)

The county borders have moved several times over the last 200 years. I believe Mottram used to be in Lancashire.
                                  Vicky

Comment

Working...
                                  X