Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage by Licence

I have got two marriages by licence.

I have looked in my reference books and it advises to look for the licence. Are they easy to find and do records offices usually hold them?

One is for a couple in 1873 in Sheffield. He was 23 and she 24, so not minors.
    The other is for OH's great-great-grandparents in Southwark in 1834. I found the marriage entry in the parish register. They would have been of full age and both were "of this parish".

Has anyone else successfully found the licenses?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Finding Marriage Licences is very hit and miss and depends whether or not the relevant CRO has them in their records. I have found several through Northants CRO and they are wonderful records when found, so worth looking, but be aware many CRO have lost them through fire/wet or other reasons. I have a few in the 1700's and one in 1699 all great documents so good luck.

Janet

Comment

I have found a couple also, but more because I fell over them than through research.

One was inexplicably, loose in the Banns book where I assume it had been tucked for safe keeping (!) and another was in some estate papers relating to a small church's land holdings!

They were both very informative. One had a pencilled note added that the Bishop had granted this licence "with kind and christian regard to the poor state of Mr Charles Baynes, a lunatic" pmsl.

Charles BAINES was the bride's father and I assume they were getting married by licence to avoid any embarrassing scenes in the bride's parish.

OC

Comment

im going to get hanged for this, but it's been bugging me for a while. what does OH mean?

Comment

kylejustin

OH = Other Half, as in spouse, partner, husband, wife etc.

OC

Comment

Thanks for your answers, OC and Janet.

I have searched the LMA's database and they hold marriage licenses for Southwark, but not for St Saviour's. I suppose it might be worth asking the church authorities.

The Sheffield couple got married in a Norfolk Street Chapel, which was Wesleyan Methodist chapel. They are OH's great-grandparents.

Kylejustin - when I started going on on-line sites such as this, it took me a while to work out the "OH" abbreviation too!
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

If you are lucky, the Wesleyan Methodist chapel papers should have found their way to Sheffield archives.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Elizabeth

A while back I looked for a few marriages in Bedford Archives. The archivist helped me with microfilm and said "ooh, married by licence, hold on" and produced a big manila folder with variousl licences, which I think were arranged by date and then alphabetically. Sadly the one we were looking for wasn't there, but I made a mental note that they were worth investigating. Haven't got on with it yet though!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell, it makes me think that I should go through all my marriage certificates to see if there are any more by licence. I must admit that I probably don't look hard enough sometimes, although I do transcribe the details for my files and my tree.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                  X