Tribes has lost my tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribes has lost my tree

Logged onto Tribal Pages this morning - or tried to! Got a completely different log-in page. I couldn't remember my password, so got them to e.mail it to me.

When I did log in, it gave me a list of 4 trees, except one of mine is missing and one in the list isn't mine at all!

I've tried searching by a few names that were in the missing tree, but they aren't coming up either.

I've contacted Support. Keep your fingers crossed for me - there were nearly 2,000 names in that tree!

EDIT - I've had another look, and though they have sent me the correct password for one of my trees - THAT tree doesn't appear to be there either! Oh blimey
    Last edited by bev&kev; 30-08-08, 10:43.

Terri, I hope they find it for you - but please don't tell me that is the only copy of your tree, and you don't keep the master copy on your computer ..... or else I will have to get on my soap box again!

For anyone else, please, please, please - do not rely on a third party - the master copy of your family tree should be on your own computer, under your control, using any of the family history programs available. There is no excuse - programs can be downloaded from the internet for free.
    Elaine

Comment

I have got another copy, but my Tribes trees were my best ones - all the notes ............ and the photos ...................... *sob*

Comment

i have one in my folder, and the other on ancestry. i also have one on a program on disc.

Comment

Oh dear Terri I do hope they find them for you!!

Good advice Elaine, Thanks..

Im going to back mine up now on my stick thingy as I havent done it for ages!

]

Comment

give us a name in your tree to search for

Comment

Omg, this is so weird!

The website access that Tribes has sent me, actually has on it that I am the webmaster. I AM NOT - I've never seen the site before, BUT, I recognise loads of the names - this site belongs to someone I have been in contact with, but who???

Comment

I have a feeling I am now webmaster of Joy Dean's site.
                I have sent her an e.mail ........................
                I just hope she has MY sites!
                What a palaver!

Comment

I have both my TP trees in my favourites, so I never have to rummage around looking for them, and the passwords are sellotaped to my computer desk!!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    .............. and the passwords are sellotaped to my computer desk!!

OC
                    Nice and secure then OC
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Glen

Yes, I put two rows of sellotape on them so they don't fall off!

Just seen a thread on GR, someone else having same problem, so it looks like a TP glitch. I should wait a bit, they are usually very prompt at sorting out their own programming errors.

OC

Comment

I've contacted a relly who had access to all my Tribes trees.

He can still access the 2 that are missing ............. but he has lost access to the 2 that aren't missing!

A relief anyway, because at least it means my trees are still alive and well .................. somewhere!

I do think it's very very naughty of Tribes to have me as webmaster of someone else's site though! :(

Comment

I'm with Elaine on this one.

Please please please, have your master copy on your own PC. With all of the notes, photos etc.

Never, never rely on a third party.

Hope you get it sorted Terri, but let this be a warning to all of you as to what could happen when you rely on someone else.

Comment

I have, I have!!! lololol
                            I have my trees, and my photos, albeit in 2 different places ...... and not quite so many notes, but my Tribes trees were all neat and noted and perfect!

It wouldn't be an absolute disaster if I lost the Tribes trees, just very, very inconvenient and annoying. I would be quite upset!

I need another Net tree I think - any suggestions??

Comment

Well I have just had a look. I have 6 trees on TP and only 3 are showing. Off to hunt for the others.
                              They gave me the password of a tree I hardly use but hopefully I have managed to change it.
                              According to the tech forum I looked at yesterday this is part one of the change and is about administrators.
                              Part 2 will be about guests.
                              If it's to be, it's up to me.
                              Searching for:
                              English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Originally posted by bev&kev View Post

I need another Net tree I think - any suggestions??

NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!! :D

*finds soapbox*

What you need to do is to have a family history program on your own computer where you keep the most up to date and perfect tree that you have - with all your notes, photos, sources etc etc.

You use that tree as your master copy and any new piece of information goes onto that. It is under your control. You can back it up every day if you want. You cannot blame anyone else if the data is lost!

The external sites are great if you want to share your information with family and friends - but in my opinion they should not be used to store your master copy.

GEDCOM files can be exported from your family history program and uploaded to these sites as often as you want. OK - they might not contain your photos - but at least you wouldn't be panicking that an external site has lost all your hard work.

*tucks soapbox back under desk*
                                Elaine

Comment

Elaine

I agree whoeheartedly with what you say.
                                  I keep my tree on my main PC and also on my laptop with copies on disk and a USB key. Can't be too careful - LOL!!
                                  Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Elaine is telling me off ..........................!! :o:o

I have a Family Tree Maker tree, which I have on 2 computers and is also stored on a memory stick, but I still don't feel its all secure. I'm probably just paranoid. :D

Comment

Terri - what worries me is how you manage to keep them all up to date.
                                      If you use FTM on your computer why not use that one as your master - and upload to Tribal Pages from there?
                                      Elaine

Comment

I admit I struggle to keep them all up to date.
                                        My Tribes trees were my most up to date and prettiest ones - my show-off trees.

I will change my ways ...... promise.

*skulks off thoroughly chastised*

Comment

Working...
                                        X