Cleaning up Computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning up Computer?

Its ages since I did a clean up and after a comment from my niece last week I thought I had better do something.

So last night I dug out the instructions I had saved from a GR thread long ago and started off.

Empty cookies - but there are none there. Only one folder and the only file was an index one.

Empty Temporary Internet Files - search found none.

Disc Cleanup. This took ages, about 2 hrs 30 min, but apart from starting it off I had to do nothing. I had left it to itself as it was taking so long and when I returned it was finished, gone.

Defragging - needed doing and did its job.

I am on Windows XP and have all the updates done (i have it set to do them automatically) and I wonder if there has been some sort of upgrade to clear cookies and temp files in the disc cleanup.

Any advice please?
    Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Control panel/ Internet options

clear cookies and temporary internet files.

I don't clear cookies. Too many passwords to have to put back in again.

Comment

Margaret

I went through the procedure but it didn't find any cookies or temp internet files. Thats my puzzle.
      Sheila

Comment

Margaret,

What system are you using XP or Vista?

They both appear to have a different way to empty the contents of the files.
        Margaret N
        DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I am on vista and thats same way to empty the catche on mine as XP ;;;
          borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

borobabs,
            I stand corrected but on my XP I don't know why the only way I could empty the temporary files was to open the acutal folder. The buttons never worked on Tools.
            For the benefit of Dancing Sheila On Vista, Go to TOOLS on IE and select Internet Options,Select Browsing History, Click Delete and you will get a list of the file types that you can delete. I would only delete Temporary Files leave Cookies and others or you will need to sign in with passwords etc again.
            Margaret N
            DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
              borobabs,
              I stand corrected but on my XP I don't know why the only way I could empty the temporary files was to open the acutal folder. The buttons never worked on Tools.
              For the benefit of Dancing Sheila On Vista, Go to TOOLS on IE and select Internet Options,Select Browsing History, Click Delete and you will get a list of the file types that you can delete. I would only delete Temporary Files leave Cookies and others or you will need to sign in with passwords etc again.

Margaret yes sorry thats the way I I do it as well

Comment

Hi all

I am on XP. I followed all the instructions for cookies no problem, however it only found one folder and all it contained was an index which you don't delete.

Same with temp files, follwed the instructions and the search came back 'no files found'.

Disc Cleanup scanned away to itself for over two hours, but instead of coming up with a list of things to be deleted, it appears to have closed itself down as I came back to my logon screen.

Not really sure if it has actually done anything, nothing is any quicker, thats for sure!

Will try again in a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Any other ideas still welcome!!
                Sheila

Comment

how about running ccleaner ?? it clears a load of rubbish from your pc

Comment

Sheila, may be you have ticked an option to clear all temp files and cookies every time you close down. I am surprised you havent noticed having to redo your passwords and stuff though if you have done this?

Not sure what you mean about the search coming back no files? When I had XP, I think you ticked on the tools, then options and then it said delete all temp files and when I clicked on it I sat there for quite a while for them to be deleted. I cant see you can have NO temp files especially if you havent cleared them for a long time as every time you open a page on the net it becomes one doesnt it?

As Val says, try downloading and running CCleaner - it is free but it will delete the cookies with your passwords (but then you say you have none?) Have a go.

Download CCleaner for FREE. Clean your PC of temporary files, tracking cookies, browser junk and more! Get the latest version today.
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 31-08-08, 20:46.

Comment

With vista it locates all files first and then say do you want to delete them I just click yes ,,,this is on disc clearner only I have done both today disc cleaner and de frag as dam GR playing up been so slow ;

Comment

Heather I have unticked the box to clear cookies on Ccleaner .

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                          Sheila, may be you have ticked an option to clear all temp files and cookies every time you close down. I am surprised you havent noticed having to redo your passwords and stuff though if you have done this?

Not sure what you mean about the search coming back no files? When I had XP, I think you ticked on the tools, then options and then it said delete all temp files and when I clicked on it I sat there for quite a while for them to be deleted. I cant see you can have NO temp files especially if you havent cleared them for a long time as every time you open a page on the net it becomes one doesnt it?

As Val says, try downloading and running CCleaner - it is free but it will delete the cookies with your passwords (but then you say you have none?) Have a go.

CCleaner - Download
                          If you click the options tab. Left at the bottom when you start C Cleaner, then cookies, you can choose which cookies to keep. All of the ones where you want to store the passwords.
                          Keeps your choices as well so that you don't have to do that each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            Heather I have unticked the box to clear cookies on Ccleaner .
                            Try what I have suggested Val. Clears out the ones you don't need. Cookies from other sites you only visit once are cleared out that way.

Comment

thanks Margaret I thought cookies were the sites with passwords you use often

Comment

No Val

Most of the sites you visit leave cookies in your system to enable them to work. Doesn't matter if you delete them as they will leave more when you next visit the site. Cookies for the sites you do want to save passwords etc will be deleted unless you do as I advised earlier

Comment

thanks Margaret have done it now

Comment

Working...
                                  X