Help please to find missing daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please to find missing daughter

I've just got my grandfather's death cert. (George Gillett) It says the informant was his daughter: J. Jones.

From what records I have there isn't a daughter with the initial 'J'..... so working on the assumption one of the other daughters that I have got, married a Mr Jones - perhaps called James/John or whatever, I've hunted all through Findmypast to find a marriage between a female Gillett married to a Jones.

As his first child was born in 1898 - and there are children up to 1906, I started looking in 1920, with no success. Of course I realise there may be a daughter after 1906, but haven't found one.

Daughters - as far as I'm aware are
    Nellie 1898 (found her marriage)
    Lizzie 1901
    Nora 1903 (think she may have died very early, as there's a son also born 1903)

Any help would be appreciated.

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow
    Last edited by Dubonnet lady; 31-08-08, 21:05. Reason: Additional material
    Dorothy G

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Dorothy

Have you got an address for J. Jones on the death cert? You could e-mail relevant library and ask if they could do a look up on electoral roll for you, which might reveal husband's name.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes I have Nell, but don't know my way round Sheffield to establish which district it is in (I put the address up earlier today for which I received some great help).

I know the husband is a Jones, possible a J. and as I say I can't find any daughter Gillett marrying someone of that name. The family from what I can see of the records, didn't move around much away from the north of England.
      Dorothy G

Comment

Jones Births on Freebmd with Gillett as mother's maiden name

Dec 1912 Jones Frederick T Bedford 3b 468

Dec 1913 Jones Cyril P Ashton 8d 831

Dec 1920 Jones Frank G W. Ham 4a 19
        Mar 1928 Jones Gladys R W.Ham 4a 180

Jun 1923 Jones Rowena M Ross 6a 815

Jun 1923 Jones Sidney H Reading 2c 682

Jun 1924 Jones Olive L Neath 11a 1815
        Sep 1929 Jones Richard Neath 11a 1312

Comment

Oh! Nell, I'm so embarrassed now! :o - that is very kind of you - but the mother's maiden name was Minor (Louisa) she married my gfather George Gillett in 1897 in Preston, Lancs.
          Dorothy G

Comment

The only Gillett/Minor marriage on freebmd is that of George G to Louise M at Fylde, December 1897, 8e 974. I think Fylde may be the adjacent registration distrct to Preston but, no doubt, this is the marriage you refer to.
            The only birth on freebmd of a Gillett child with the mothers maiden name as Minor, is that of Eleanor Gillett at Wortley (Yorkshire) in December 1912, 9c 705.
            If this is a child of George and Louise, it might be that another child born at Wortley is also theirs, Jessie Gillett, Wortley, December 1910, 9c 353.

Merleyone

Comment

Dorothy

The mother was Minor, but the daughter who married Mr Jones (she is called J. Jones on Mr Gillett's death cert) was surely a Gillett before she married. It is her possible children that I have listed, not her mother's.

I just thought maybe one of the reg districts would ring a bell with you and then we could check for likely marriage of the parents.

Comment

I may be missing the point here as usual, but surely she has signed as "Mrs J Jones" as in "Mrs John (James/Jack/Joseph etc) Jones" as is correct on a formal occasion.

In other words, the initial J is not hers but her husband's.

OC

Comment

Nell - again, I'm so sorry - I didn't realise that.

OCH - Well, I am also wondering that - as you say, that was the formal thing to do then........ nevertheless I can't find any daughter - so far that has married a Jones.

However if there is an Eleanor and possibly a Jessie as well Thankyou for finding that one Meryl - I must check that too. I wonder if there are any more ....... phew! Poor grandma! that's virtually one a year for 13 years!!

Thank you all very much for your input.
                  Last edited by Dubonnet lady; 30-08-08, 14:25.
                  Dorothy G

Comment

Found her!!

Phew! It's Jessie Jones - thanks Meryl

But in the trawl have established that Grandma had 15 children - and Jessie didn't get married until she was 49! Hardly surprising she didn't fancy having any of her own!! :D
                    Dorothy G

Comment

Hi Dorothy G
                      Was browsing yesterday and found your reference to the Campbell Family via Hepburn dilemma.My daughter is a descendent of Alexander Campbell ,Father of Mary Gordon Campbell (Wilkie),Could we correspond re the Campbell side. Thanks and Regards Reeve

Comment

Working...
                      X