Sandall Majora Yorkshire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandall Majora Yorkshire?

I have a marriage for OH's 3xgt grandparents.

They married in the Parish Church of "Sandall Majora" (that's what it looks like) in the County of York.

Is this the same as "Sandall Magna"? I can't find it on the IGI list of parishes or in the WIKI's POWs.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

There's a place called Kirk Sandal, I think. And Magna and Parva are quite common suffixes where I used to live in South Yorkshire.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I've looked at the certificate again (1845) and it is in the district of Wakefield.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Aha!

I used FreeBMD for a search of Wakefield, then clicked on the information about the district:

It includes:
        Sandal Magna
        WRY from 1837 to 1925
        after 1925 see Wakefield
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:

Comment

Magna and majora are both Latin terms meaning Great or Larger.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If "majora" is the correct reading it is fairly illiterate Latin: it is neuter plural rather than the usual feminine singular (such as Magna). That may explain why it isn't found in the usual gazetteers.

Peter

Comment

Working...
            X