OC, more from the Domesday Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC, more from the Domesday Book

OC, I suddenly realised I had another book that might be helpful, it's a Cheshire Local History Soc book on Wybunbury --a rellie was the village bobby there in the 1850's...
    I remembered Wybunbury was in the same Hundred as Coppenhall, known as Warmundestrou in the Domesday book, later Nantwich.
    Now, the Chambers book says this William Malbank held many manors in the hundred.
    The Wybunbury book mentions the ones he held in Wybunbury parish. And guess what. I quote:
    ''The same William holds Batherton. Healfdene and Doere held it as two manors and were freemen...TRE it was worth 6s., now 3s. He found it all waste''
    And later
    ''The same William holds Walgherton. Gunningr and Healfdene held it as two manors and were freemen...TRE it was worth 9s., now 5s. He found it all waste''
    No more Holden refs according to the index.
    Do you want the full entries? Just the usual sort ,not too enlightening as far as I can see
    I hope this helps
    Janexxx
    To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Oh, yes please Jane!

OC

Comment

OK here goes
      'The same William holds Batherton. Healfdene and Deore held it as 2 manors and were free men. There is half a hide paying geld. There is land for 2 ploughs. In demesne is 1 (plough) and two oxmen: and 1 villein and 2 bordars. There are 40 perches of woodland TRE ..''etc as I transcribed before'

''The same William holds Walgherton. Gunningr and Healfdene held it as 2 manors, and were free men. There is 1 hide and 1 virgate paying geld. There is land for 2 ploughs. There is 1 (plough) with 1 oxman, and 1 radman and 2 bordars. TRE...'' etc as I transcribed before'

Also you picked up on Wulfgeat from Coppenhall I think.
      He also held at Willaston..It says ''W. a freeman held it. There is 1 virgate paying geld. There is land for half a plough. There is 1 bordar. It was worth 5s., now 2s.''
      Great stuff, I need to do this for the Bolton area as my lines were incomers in Cheshire
      Janexxx
      To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Working...
      X