Tracing Your Roots - Radio 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing Your Roots - Radio 4

A new series of Tracing Your Roots has started on Radio 4 at 1:30pm on Wednesdays.

The latest programme dealt with tracing Jewish ancestors who have come from abroad and was a very interesting listen. You can listen again by following the link on this page:

BBC - Radio 4 Tracing Your Roots Homepage

Thanks for this.

It has given me an idea or two for my niece's tree - and prompted me to have another look at TNA Catalogue - where I found a probable Naturalisation ref for a direct ancestor.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'm glad you found it interesting, Christine

This series is a bit more in depth now that they have covered the basics and I like hearing the listeners' stories. The one about the lady and her two siblings coming over on the kinder trains in 1939, with the letter extracts between their parents and the foster family, was very moving.

Comment

The first one was about illegitimacy.
        It had a story where the family thought they were connected to aristocracy.
        They weren't.
        My husbands family thought the same but we found out that they were mistaken.
        They were not pleased!!
        If it's to be, it's up to me.
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Re those with Jewish ancestry - was Nicholas Winton mentioned (known as the British Schindler)?
          Joy

Comment

Working...
          X